Big Bugs from Kraken - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Bugs from Kraken

Hello and well met everyone! I've not played the game in almost 5 years, but just started to get back into it a few weeks ago.

I'm jumping right into some Tyranids. Since it's been a while since I've painted, I was hoping to get some input or thoughts on my new army. I've done quite a few gaunts and stealers, but painted up a few big bugs over the weekend once I got a basic color scheme down... and I mean BASIC. My picture taking skills leave a LOT to be desired. Forgive me...

Anyhow, without further ado, here are the new additions to the family. I've only based the zoanthrope and Broodlord. I still need to do the others. =( All thoughts, critiques, insights, and everything else is welcomed. Please feel free to bash or praise as you see fit. I'm very thick skinned.

Last edited by RichardLionhart; May 7th, 2009 at 08:05. Reason: increased picture sizes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

You might want to post bigger pictures. Things are really hard to see at their current size.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Colour scheme looks cool, I like the depth you achived in the red/black carapace pieces. But the pics are a bit unclear and fuzzy. Invest in a mini-tripod for your camera, those things cost between 5-15EUR and they will improve you photo's a looooooooooot.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

The colour scheme looks pretty cool, I especially like the depth you achived on the red/black carapaces. Invest in buying a mini-tipod for your camera. Those things only cost around 5-15 EURO but will improve your shots by a tenfold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

The Tyrant and thropes look magnificent. The washes are great for the carapace. Not too sure about the green on the fex's though, i think it may clash a bit much with the reds and browns. Maybe an orange or pink would suit better for those squishy bits on the guns etc? anyways, just my opinion

Floating around space finding and converting small planets into biomatter for the fleet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Green doesn't look too bad for me, it has the necessary contrast with the bone and doesn't cause too much of a problem against the red in my opinion. Easily tabletop quality minis you have here though, although if there's anything that looks wrong it's the carnifex's eye. Nothing wrong with the painting skill, I've just never been a fan of 'dinosaur' eyes on tyranids.

Main Armies: The Septem Edo Hivefleets || Da Mekanikus of Mek Skagnatz || Clan Skrawlskir of the White Rat || The Eternal Legion of Chlorr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

that is a really nice-looking group, I think I like the guy with the wings the most (Tyrant I guess?). The red, shiny carapaces are awesome as well, entire army should look sweet!

ditto on the pics though, they don't do them justice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

are they washes....? It just looks like you dipped.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I do have a large tripod for my video camera that also fits my digital camera; I'll have to give that a shot. My biggest problem is trying to get a good closeup and keep focus. I'll need to figure something out.

As for the green barbed stranglers, I wanted something to contrast against the red carapace and tan skin. I like the pink idea for my venom cannons, though. The slitted or "dinosaur" eyes is just a preference for me on bugs or reptilian creatures. I'm goofy like that.

On a final note... their skin was basecoated with GW Bleached Bone and then had a weak attempt at highlighting with Skull White. From there, I used Flesh Wash to try to get it to seep into the crevices and add depth. I'm pretty new to washing, and it REALLY shows where I did it too heavily or not enough on these big creatures. The little guys hide mistakes while the flaws here stand out like a sore thumb. I used Purity Seal to finish the guys and then painted GW "ardcote" on all the carapace pieces to make them look shiny.

Again, thanks for all the encouragement. I'll try to get some better shots and some pics of the entire army.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Most camera's have a 'Macro' function for taking shots of things up close.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Most Camera's have a 'Macro' function that adjust the focus for taking shots up close But you'll definitely need your tripod to take stable shots on Macro

+ Reply to Thread