Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Other than the DA accessories that you added, and the chopped Space Marine you added for the head, the only Conversion I really see is the Metal wings added to the leg and folded.
Otherwise you used the accessories as they were intended.. To Embelish a model.
My idea of a conversion (The Chopped Space Marine was a good part) would be chopping parts from something that was not originally intended to be part of what you are working on, and adding them anyway, or modeling the parts yourself..
Using some green stuff to model a Robe look for the Dread would be a great adaptation..
Just my 2 cents.
This is not to say that the model doesn't look good, because it does.. The accessories added gave it more personality.
take a closer look at the dreadnought, or better yet look at my Thousand Sons one i did using the same technique. That shows the work i've done on the front of it.
I did not just slap a "chopped up" marine on top of the existing model, its cut and worked in with greenstuff and plasticard.
When I say Chopped, I mean his legs and arms are gone, and obviously placed to fit. I also never said you just slapped him in there.. I actually complimented you on that part.
I did not contend that you did not convert that piece for it.. Just saying I don't see much else on there that is a conversion. Using the Space Marine Torso in the way you did was an excellent idea, and appears to have been implemented masterfully.
Again, that is not the contention, and me saying chopped and you saying cut... Po Tay Toes - Pah Tah Toes.
As for referencing a different conversion.. it has no relevence to this current one. You asked for opinions, and my opinion is that other than the Space Marine, and the metal wings, you used everything else that can be seen as they were intended.. An embellishment.
You asked for improvements.. I offered the thought of modeling a robe for it...
If you are trying to defend yourself against my opinions, then defend against this.
1) Did you not use a bunch of vehicle accessories?
2) Other than the Marine, and Bending metal wings did you have to take pieces from something other than a dreadnaught, Chop/Cut/shape to fit and implement it on this thing.
3) If the above is true, is it visible in the pictures?
4) Were you going to mention the wings on the head that was a vehicle accessory as being cut to fit? If so refer to question 1.
Now that we are done nitpicking, and since I wasn't attacking the look of your accessories added to the naught in the first place. Lets move on to the fact that they were simply my observations give the photos you provided, and were my reccomendations.
Shall we move on to me again saying that you have a very artistic piece sitting in front of you?
Last edited by MarxusTharin; May 9th, 2009 at 01:56.
Hostilities aside, I really like how you did the torso + shoulder pad once again. Robes could be a bit much, and I doubt a dread would want to get entangled in them. A small tabbard ought to be enough to DA it up a bit more, but I fear it may look too busy that way.
Also, try using an "older" (fluff wise) head, dreads tend to have been around for ages, so I doubt a MK. VIII head is appropriate. Try the head from the command squad sprue for the company champion, it seems more fitting.
Also, would you mind doing up a quick tutorial on how to do the 'nought head?
Last edited by Fangda; May 9th, 2009 at 02:06.
Marines - All built, 4/5 painted. Tau - 3/4 built, 0 painted. 'crons - 1/2 built, 1/2 painted.
I suck at staying on task.
I will fully admit that these are not exactly the best photos to show off the work that had been done behind the marine torso and reading my previous post it seems a lot more aggravated and angry then I intended it to be.
but until I get better pictures up you won't be able to see the work done behind it, which i'll admit is the only large scale work to be had on this model, everything else is just a conglomeration of plastic bits cut and reglued. I had made a tutorial of this dreadnought in its infant stage but never fully finished it. Here's a link to the partially completed tutorial.....though the rest is pretty much self-explanatory
Venerable Dreadnought fronts - Rogue Market: Warhammer Trading, Gaming, & Hobby Discussion
oh and the wings on the leg aren't metal, they were a vehicle icon that i cut the wings from, sanded down so they would bend easier and wrapped around the leg. The sword was cut from the a raven wing icon, sanded and inverted.
I really didn't keep track of the time it took to do this, but it was less then 5 hours work I know that much.
Ahh, I can see that they are plastic now that you point it out.. The coloration on it gave that metallic look.
I would deffinately like to see the work on the sarcophagous as it would be an excelent addition for Black Templars.
I would skip the wings on it's head, but otherwise it looks nice.
(The wings make him look a little like Asterix...(or maybe Obelix, regarding the size))
Currently painting the Waaagh! of Warboss Borboss - Goff and Evil Sunz warband