Welcome to Librarium Online!
Ok, here's to hoping that that thing about starting early was for real, 'cause I've actually started already.
DISCLAIMER: I'm notoriously bad at finishing things, so this thread will probably be updated not as often as I would like. This is an honest effort to finish the scenery piece before the deadline.
With that said, I first thought of doing a ruined building using the templates found here. Then, fortunately, I went back and reread the size limits. 6 inches was a bit smaller than what I'd like my building to be, so I had to come up with something else. That's when I remembered a water tower I went by a while ago that I thought look kinda nice and decided to use that as the main piece. Here is a link to a page with photos of the water tower I'm using as inspiration.
So I started collecting some building materials and this is what I intend to use:
1: A plastic bucket that used to contain turkish yoghurt and that has a man with a seriously impressive mustasch and sideburns.
2: Some foamcore.
3: Plywood for the base.
4: Some paperclips.
6: Wooden coffee stirrers.
7: Empty sprues.
8: Wooden toothpicks.
9: Plastic straws.
10: Plastic tubes and I-beams.
11: (Not in picture) A kitchen roll. (or rather the card cylinder that the kitchen roll is rolled up on)
Today was mostly research and cutting up the plastic bucket and cutting the support beams from foam core. After a few hours, this is what I had in front of me:
From left to right:
1: The card tube will be at the center below the tank.
2: The cut up bucket with foamcore support beams.
3: Base for the waterline to go in the tank.
Assembled it looks like this:
Note how the mighty mustasch and sideburns are still visible. It will be a comforting thought once the paint is on that beneath it all the mustach and sideburns remains.
That's all for tonight folks, I hope you enjoyed it.
Last edited by Mechatius; May 11th, 2009 at 22:25.
awesome start, Mechatius! keep going man , you got this!
Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.
Thanks for the kind words Sho.
I didn't really find the time to do much last night, but I managed to steal away 5 minutes to applying some woodworking filler to try to cover up the exposed foam of the foamcore on the support beams. It seemed to turn out quite well, but only after getting home and sanding it tonight will I know for sure.
I really like the shape of the foam outcropings.