Farsight piranhas with airbrush - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    191 (x3)

Farsight piranhas with airbrush

2 new farsight piranhas painted up with my airbrush. My first ever with an airbrush. Painted the red up using createx paint. The other colors were done by hand. Wanted to get some experience working with the airbrush. Was going to airbrush some exhast trails from the engines on the back half of the vehicals but frankly forgot about it up till now.. Save it for the day I plan to airbush my Bloodletters, Bloodthirster, and Soul Grinder.

What do you think.? Comments, suggestions, criticism.??

NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Ah, the wonderful even thickness coating of an airbrush.
    Nice start on the model mate, going to to some highlighting too with the airbrush and some oil paint weathering and/or outlining?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

191 (x3)

The highlighting is too advanced for me to try with an air brush as of yet. Ill probably add a few small highlights and exhaust marks and be done with them. Ive got over 4000 points of tau left to paint so time is of the essence.
    NECRON Army List Builder a Free excel capable list generator for 5th and 6th ed. 11/2011
    Necrons - 6000 points, Tau - 6000, Daemons - 5250, Eldar - 4500, Blood Angels - 5000
    Some pics form my hobby. http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...arodragon/40k/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

If the clock is ticking... deadlines first in this case. Ah well, you can always come back to the models to give them a few layers of schwung and zing and doo-dads....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tips on working with an airbrush

Hi,

I am thinking about expanding my Eldar force with a set of jet bikes, vipers, a wave serpent, and possibly a Fire Prism.

Most of my experience painting is with individual infantry models. I have done a few space marine tanks but I did all of them with a brush. I found the process of base coating and highlighting the tanks very tedious. It took a very long time. Multiple layers of paint were required to get the colors right, highlighting every corner by using a small brush, etcetera.

I bought the Citadel spray gun a few months back and used it to paint a set of blood angel models. I had never used a spray gun before so it might just have been me but I found the quality of the spray gun terrible. It only has two dials to play with and I never seemed to get it right the first time. It also "jammed" a lot, meaning that I couldn't get it to spray any paint at all. I then had to clean it all out and this sometimes but not always did the trick. So, I used up a lot of paint and propellant. Some of the paint was sprayed on too thick and created bubbles. That's not a nice sight after you have spent a significant amount of money on new models and time on assembling these models. After I did a few base coats by hand I decided to follow some advice in white dwarf about using washes with the spray gun. Wow. It came out way too thick. Again, I was not a happy camper.

I also went through 5 or 6 cans of propellant. At $10 each that's quite expensive.

So... I have been reading on this forum about airbrushes. It looks like it's worth the investment. By buying a compressor I'll avoid having to spend money on propellant.

Which one should I buy? I am not too concerned about cost.

Where can I find a good buyer's guide? And what about usage and maintenance? Any good sites to read upon about usage and maintenance? I would especially like to know how you would use an airbrush to speed up highlighting and using inks/ washes for vehicles.

Thanks,

Siper

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

There are whole websites dedicated to airbrushing, so there is almost information overload on the subject.

There are three basic types:
    External Mix (always come as siphon feed)
    Internal Mix (with siphon feed)
    Internal Mix (with gravity feed)

There is also single vs. double action. Single action is just there to control the air flow. Double action allows you to control the amount of paint in the mix.

For me, money was an issue. I had a 40% coupon at Michaels Arts and Crafts and was able to get a nice price on one of their better brushes. I still use the canned air and managed to do all of my tests models and then my final versions on just two cans of the brand they sell there.

I have a double action, siphon fed brush. This is probbly my ideal since I can do a suprising amount of painting with a single fill-up.

@camarodragon: I like the color. Has Farsight learned from the Orks that Red Wunz go fasta!?
    More info on page 10 of my PLog: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...g-army-10.html (RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army))
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240 (x4)

Seriously, I'd suggest this...
    eBay.be: Mini Profi Airbrush Kompressor KAS186 nur 35db +3L Tank (object 190313460584 eindtijd 10-jun-09 1300 CEST)

I bought mine from there a few monts ago, paid 85 euro's on the daily bid.( It's a webshop)

Basically any brand would do though. Just some options to take into account.

You WANT an air tank as this increases work time and ensures a constant pressure.

You WANT a moisture trap so none of your equipment gets any kind of rust in the long term.

For connection options, you can always buy 3rd part stuff. Basically you got three sizes in airbrush connections; 5mm, 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch. most airbrushes have a 5mm srcrew connection, compressors differ.
    So for instance, my setup is: Compressor with 1/8"screw attachment: --> 1/8" to 1/4" convertor-> 1/4"-5mm( airbrush included adaptor plug)->5mm cable to airbrush,-->Airbrush just attached to 5mm cable.

And a compressor will last you a lifetime if treated decently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the good advice.

I also found this post at Heresy Online

Airbrush 101, buying that new Airbrush - Heresy-Online - Warhammer 40k and Fantasy Forums

It confirms a lot of the things mentioned in this thread.

Anyway, later this summer I'll probably make the purchase.

Until then, I have plenty of unfinished projects which don't require an airbrush. I am working on 30 blood angel infantry miniatures. I also have 14 old school orks (the original box with plastic Space Orks) which I never got around to painting when I bought them when they first got out. I am planning to do the 14 orks quickly. I am typically a slow painter but I've decided to try some quick techniques on a few models I don't care too much about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Looks nice. I see just a bit of "orange peel" in the paint, but it looks good for a first shot. It is pretty tough to get a nice even, smooth coat without some polishing. Some paints have self leveling compounds in them. I know testors spray paints self level very nicely. Also it looks somewhat shiny, I don't know if Tau vehicles are supposed to shine, but hitting it with some matte would make the orange peel not as noticeable. Hope that gives you a few ideas. Keep up the good work!

Princept Milligan of the Legio Tempestus

+ Reply to Thread