Some minis for critique. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some minis for critique.

Hi there

I've just joined the forum, Ive been browsing for a couple of days there are some fantastic painters here with some great pieces.
    I thought I'd post a couple of mine to get some opinions. I haven't been painting long, i started about Christmas time so I've got a long way to go.

A few orcs

This is my latest one

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Looking very good, some effective highlightin on pretty much everything there, can't fault much.

My only nitpick would be that the highlights on the yellow marine look a little bit too harsh. Apart from that its pretty much top notch. I look forward to seeing more.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

I'd have to echo AE.

I'd like maybe some closer up pictures.

Do you have any?

Good stuff anyway.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

The blue marines look very good, especially if you've only been painting for five-ish months. I think if you could make the red brighter in their eyes the models would really pop - right now the models have no real focal point.

The Boromir model is my favorite. The colors work very well and you've done a great job on his face.

Oh, and welcome to LO!
    General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Dam i really love that yellowish brown marine bad times. I personelly thinks its your best one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Good work - if you keep this pace you'll be painting fantastic minis in no time!

I agree that the highlights on the yellow marine are a bit too much - though the marine itself is pretty cool, I can't remember seeing a similar scheme, so it's nicely original too (and please don't tell me that there's a chapter for yellow marines in the space marines codex ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    Thanks for your comments, when you say the highlights on the yellow space marine are too harsh do you mean the highlights themselves being too thick or have I used the wrong shade of yellow for highlights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

These are all very good models for 5months of painting.

I have to agree with xbanditsx, boromir is also my favorite.

I'm not sold on your marines. You've shown with boromir you can paint to a high standard and your marines aren't there. So here's my critique.

The marines have very little contrast. They are 3-4 basic colors (with respective highlights).

You have the general idea for extreme highlighting. What I'd recommend is that you either thin the lines you have, or do a thinner, lighter highlight inside those at the very edges. This will dull the effects of the already present highlights.

You also highlight all the colors, but leave the metallics untouched. I could be wrong, but it looks like their shoulder pad rims have no highlights. A thin layer of silver (or silver mixed with your original color) would make a great highlight.

Lastly, you're colors aren't consistent. On the ultramarines, there are darker patches on their legs but they don't appear to be as a shading effect. It's almost as if ink or washes pooled there. You're highlights also appear to be everywhere, even places light wouldn't necessarily hit (like the underside of their knee pad).

Now all that being said, you are a very good painter and all those models are very nice so I don't want this to be taken in a bad way.

Anyways, have some rep for a very bold post with some lovely models, and I look forward to seeing more stuff from you. Welcome.

cheers,
    Last edited by darcchipmunk; May 21st, 2009 at 15:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Wargh View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your comments, when you say the highlights on the yellow space marine are too harsh do you mean the highlights themselves being too thick or have I used the wrong shade of yellow for highlights?
    What some people do is that they make a thick "50% highlight" and then a thin "100% highlight" on the edge. I think your marines are already better than mine though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wargh View Post
    Hi
    I think there is little transition.

You have a rather flat colour and then *BAM* you have a highlight. I'f you're going for that method, then you'll need a finer/thinner edge to make it look less out of place.

Or you can have more layers and build up to the edge.

It looks like you favour the wash approach (noticeably the ork 'skirts') and this works well for folds and such, but less so on large flat surfaces like on a marine.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast