Huge Ruined Building WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Huge Ruined Building WIP

I've gotten off from school and thought I would post this huge Ruined Building that my brother and I are building. I meant to have some in-progress pics, but they got deleted from my camera. However, I will try to explain what we did.

The base is cut from a box my laptop came in and all the tiles are cut rectangles from cardboard and glued on. We had lots of Mcragge wreckage, so we decided to make some creative use of it. Trying to simulate the plane crashing into the building, we divided up the wreckage accordingly. The sanded slopes are from regular styrofoam that I cut into with a butterknife (not much skill needed, just break small pieces off a bit at a time with the knife-it doesn't have to be sharp, just blunt) Then we painted the foam to shades of brown and coated it with sand and rockes. We left some of the middle section untiled and put sand and Mcrrage wreckage there too. The pilars are from a role of syranwrap (clear plastic to cover food). Most of the construction is done, and it needs to be painted. Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
    I've gotten off from school and thought I would post this huge Ruined Building that my brother and I are building. I meant to have some in-progress pics, but they got deleted from my camera. However, I will try to explain what we did.

The base is cut from a box my laptop came in and all the tiles are cut rectangles from cardboard and glued on. We had lots of Mcragge wreckage, so we decided to make some creative use of it. Trying to simulate the plane crashing into the building, we divided up the wreckage accordingly. The sanded slopes are from regular styrofoam that I cut into with a butterknife (not much skill needed, just break small pieces off a bit at a time with the knife-it doesn't have to be sharp, just blunt) Then we painted the foam to shades of brown and coated it with sand and rockes. We left some of the middle section untiled and put sand and Mcrrage wreckage there too. The pilars are from a role of syranwrap (clear plastic to cover food). Most of the construction is done, and it needs to be painted. Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.
    Good job so far, I like the detail on what you used, and the imagination behind the piece.
    I would warn you about painting it - that cardboard may warp. when i started making scenery I used cardboard in swathes, and my best response to stop warping was to paint both sides at the same time (it wants to bend both ways)
    I really like the tiles, especially the curved section.
    Oh, another thing i'd do is cut a "frame" for your doorway out of paper/cereal packet to make your wall / doorframe have a better finish. If you press the paper on one side and run a pencil around the inside (from the other side) it'll give you a shape template. (Do two bits, slightly bigger)
    Show us how it ends!
    Last edited by stayscrunchyinmilk; May 25th, 2009 at 21:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to use foamcore for the walls if you can get your hands on it; it will make the walls look less "paper thin" and uncorrogated. It also lets you do some nice battle damage + rebar coming out of the damaged areas. Otherwise, the steps and tiles are really brilliant! That must have taken ages =P
    Marines - All built, 4/5 painted. Tau - 3/4 built, 0 painted. 'crons - 1/2 built, 1/2 painted.
    I suck at staying on task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i fear for the cardboard, but I'd love to see the result of this, great start.
    Iske 12th Rangers (IG) (1500 pts) (W/L/D) 25-43-2 Da Dakkad Dizzy Deff Skullz (1500 pts) 1-0-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

Looks interesting!
    Id go with two layers of card to make it tough, I used double layered corigated card for this (unfinshed as yet) project, glued with PVA and pressed flat overnight with heavy books, no problems with warping when painted with acrylic house paint.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...rial-arch.html

Bugabit out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

Very nice work! i am always impressed with people who can use corrugated cardboard for scenery.
    I will agree with Bug that you might want to look into doubling up the card layering it twice.
    it'll hold up better, and properly indicates how thick a building wall would be.

THe design of the piece is fantastic, and I love the rounded front steps.
    Keep it up.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Update Time!

Well, we decided not to double layer the carbdoard, but we did fill in the edges with greenstuff. And we added an archway around the door. Also, we got most of the painting done: . . . . . We have, however, a dilemma. The right side of the door looks too empty, so we will fill it with one of two symbols I made, but we can't decide which one to use! Please help us choose. There is the templar-esque cross and the aquila/inquisition combo. . . . . OR . . .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

If you use the second image (the one I like), cut the bottom off it a little and drop it an inch down. Then I think it will look loads better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

I really like the painting but not too keen on the courogated look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tiles look absolutely fantastic.
    Marines - All built, 4/5 painted. Tau - 3/4 built, 0 painted. 'crons - 1/2 built, 1/2 painted.
    I suck at staying on task.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast