How to paint Forgeworld Tau Battlefleet Gothic - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to paint Forgeworld Tau Battlefleet Gothic

I'm expecting a fleet of 1500 points worth of Forgeworld Tau models soon, and ideally I'd like to paint them but as quick as possible without making them look horrible.

I'm only used to painting 40K Orks though and I do those with spray, basecoat (4-5 colours) and dipping in Army Painter quickshade medium brown tone.

What colour schemes suit Tau in Battlefleet Gothic and what suggestions do experts have for painting the resin FW models to make a striking yet simple fleet quickly?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

I dont really now much about painting BFG, but when it comes to FW resin you always want to make sure you clean it first soapy water will do fine otherwise the paint wont stick. You might alreayd knwo this but thought might help.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting a BFG fleet is just like painting an army. Pick a scheme you like and just go from there.

If I remember correctly, Tau were not in the BFG rulebook and have been added on since, and therefor don't have pictures and back round in the book. My advice to you would be to look at the Tau codex for color inspiration.

If you want to get into greater detail, remember that you're in space, a generally low-light scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I can think of two easy ways to get a decent base coat and shade on the figures. One being more expensive than the other unless you already have the setup.

Ideally if you had an airbrush you can get the appropriate color and airbrush the basecoat on. This will produce a nice and even coat on the figures. Washing them with one of the GW glazes will add instant shade. From there it should be pretty quick to add little bits of detail to make them pop.

If you don't have access to an airbrush - another method that would be nearly the same would be to find a spray can color that closely matches what you are trying to achieve and spray the color on, glaze it as above and do your details...

If neither is a good option you can also take a larger brush. Take the paint color you want and water it down quite a bit and then brush it on with the larger brush. It is quicker and for the base coat you aren't going for perfection. If you keep the paint thin you can brush it on rather quick without getting paint buildup. A couple coats should produce smooth results.

Now for interesting and quick bases I used this method and was really pleased with the results:

Sprayed the bases black. Took white paint on a toothbrush and flicked the bristles across from about 6 inches away... It created a nice star pattern.

I took a few of the bases a step further and added Nebula looking areas. To do this take a sponge and white paint and dab an irregular area onto the base, wiping away most of the paint so you get a very light ghost like residue. Then taking inks you can stain the area. Mixing a bit of white with the inks and watering it down you can swirl in the colors. Remember to continuously dab off most of the ink with a sponge to help keep it looking translucent and slowly build up your color pattern... The effect looks very cool and really isn't hard to do.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

there some awesome bases, im going to do them on my eldar fleet when i get around to doing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    Now for interesting and quick bases I used this method and was really pleased with the results:

Sprayed the bases black. Took white paint on a toothbrush and flicked the bristles across from about 6 inches away... It created a nice star pattern.

I took a few of the bases a step further and added Nebula looking areas. To do this take a sponge and white paint and dab an irregular area onto the base, wiping away most of the paint so you get a very light ghost like residue. Then taking inks you can stain the area. Mixing a bit of white with the inks and watering it down you can swirl in the colors. Remember to continuously dab off most of the ink with a sponge to help keep it looking translucent and slowly build up your color pattern... The effect looks very cool and really isn't hard to do.
    Listen to the wise words of Slorak, for he has the skills to pay the bills when it comes to painting. I've found the toothbrush method to work excellently and have used it on all of my many BFG vessel bases. I would suggest you practice with a toothbrush and some black card before committing this technique to actual models as getting the amount of paint on the brush and distance from the base right takes a little bit of practice.

Another method of getting nebula on to the base is with light applications of spray paint, though this is harder to control than the sponge/ink approach.

If you want some good advice on the actual models then I suggest contacting Minus t, one of the forum moderators. He has had painted some of these models up very well indeed. Here is an example of his work

Hope it helps,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must admit those are some nice ideas, particularly the bases. Might have to invest in a few inks though, all I have is black spray, various Vallejo paints and the Army Painter quickshade. Brushes could do with replacing as they are getting encrusted!

If I could paint like that white Tau ship picture I wouldn't have issues! lol But lets be realistic here!

I tried once with an old Khorne 40K army a method of spraying all the models with a B & Q colour spray paint to suit Curdled Blood Red, then painting the gold and weapon colours on afterwards. This made a simple yet stunning looking force. I tried the same with a Tau force though and this didn't work at all, however that might have been because I tried spraying it navy blue then painting white on top..........bad idea!

Would a similar method work here? Bit like how Slorak said, spraying it first in the main colour then painting details on afterwards? I could get the right colour, spray it on, then paint some detailed bits and bobs on the model, and then finally getting a large brush (what's an airbrush?), dipping that in the Army Painter Medium Tone quickshade and then lightly brushing the model to get the shading/toning done.

All I need now is a good colour scheme.........preferably not using too much white as it's a fickle colour. Oh btw that mention about washing the model with soapy water - does everyone else agree that's necessary?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

It could work but be careful. With B&Q spray are not ment for this type of job, but you have done before you know what doing. The main thing will eb the base colour, make sure its a lighter colour than planning on doing details. This is not 100% nessassery but with the type of spray going to be using will make life so much easyer. An air gun is a spray gun liek the GW flamer lookin one, but there are many diffrent types of there and many better quality ones. I have one and it is an expensive investement but is fantastic to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right also whats best for gluing models together in resin? I only have the plastic stuff but I'm betting that won't work with resin! I do hate superglue for constantly getting my fingers stuck together but will submit for BFG as resin looks a lot easier to work with than annoying heavy metal!

I think painting wise I'll spray them black as I need some black spray to do my Orks also. Then I'll base coat in whatever feels right and then dip them in the Army Painter quickshade. They may not look squeaky clean in terms of spaceships but then lets face it, it's not like you got a guy on a window lift on the side of the ship scrubbing it with window mop!
    Last edited by farmergiles65; June 7th, 2009 at 14:34.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

Im affrade its super glue. You will ahve to be careful thats all and dont use as much . You can get a spray which will make the super glue dry instantly so can be much cleaner to stick together, and is super quick. Super glue one side spray other hold for about 2 seconds and done sold hold and stronger than normal super glue.

EDIT: the super glue must contain cyanoacrylate for this to work, however most do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)