Medieval Chimera - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Medieval Chimera

I've had this chimera for over a year now, it got undercoated, well mostly undercoated and then it sat collecting dust. I didn't know quite what to do with it to make it fit my medieval theme. Eventually I decided to decorated sides, possibly a medieval painting of some sort, but I decided on the bayeux tapestry. However I'd not actually looked at the side of a chimer in a while and I forgot the sides aren't flat. I'm also a pretty poor painter, and painting a whole scene from the tapestry would be beyond me.

I came up with a plan... printit out, but I was not sure quite how. First plan was print it out onto an acetate sheet, but after an sheet melted in our photocopier I decided against that. Next plan was to print out a sheet, glue it to the model and then stick a clear plasticard sheet over the top to protect it. That was how this started... but its not finished and I need help.

first to flatten the sides out I cut those chunky bits off.

Next I cut the doors out and scraped off as much as I could

I found the picture I wanted, photoshopped it into the basic shape and printed it out.

However I soon realized that I'd have trouble cutting out a plasticard sheet that would fit exactly in the gap left, and even if I did, with all the curved corners I'd struggle keeping a rim around the outside. I'd gone too far to put it back, so I decided to do the best I could sticking sides on, but that the detail would have to go one something else. Anything that could cover the dodgy conversion work so far would be good.

I had a thought, the only flat side I'd ever seen on a chimera was on the forge world spaced armour.. well sort of flat.

So I cut the basic shape out of thick plasticard and glued it down with Bostick All Purpose.

Then I came to stick the clear plasticard over it, it would protect it and allow me to some light weathering over it, but then I realized that any glue I used would show up... its clear plasticard. Damn.
    I've decided to just leave the photo-paper straight on the plasticard. I may spray some varnish over it to seal t. Any recommendations?

Making some sort of frame around the outside of this was easier because the edges are simple and straight. This time I used thin plasticard.

Next I cut some little bits of plasticard tube to make mounts.

Then I moved them because they were in the wrong place

So this is the armour bluetacked on.

Right, now I need help. What would you do next. Somewhere I want to stick the brasiers from the bretonian peasant sprues, but I don't know where. Are they too thick? What weathering can I get away with? Salt mask on the hull? Does it need greenstuff to cover up some gaps? Also I have no idea how to paint this, what varnish to use to cover the paper, what colours to use... or even wheather this is actuallly a good idea. Still no going back now.

Suggestions? Help?

Last edited by matus; May 31st, 2009 at 23:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

To me personelly t doesnt look medival at all XD. What i would do is maybe ad a balista for a turret with a load of arrows. Then make a giant steam tank at the back with a pipe to let the steam out. You can even use a furnace as im sure medival guys didnt use gas. Hoped i helped a littlr.

Tyr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try making it look clunky, like a steamengine, with lots of pipes and stuff, perhaps look at the imperial steam tank (fantasy) for inspiration. The most important thing, however, is: REMOVE THOSE ANTENNAE! Replace them with a banner or something. You might also try adding cloth parts, like medieval horses at tourneys. Depending on your GS skills, you could try replacing the front with some heraldic animal (Im thinking either eagle or unicorn-with a big, sharp horn- here). Helpful?

i will stay and fight Sealancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

What up Matus. The turret should be the steam tank turret from the WHFB empire range. Booyah.
    "Courage without the presence of fear is like a pistol without bullets. Meaningless." Colonel Igor Massif, 6777th Severite Rifles M40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Lo sealancer, yeah considered that.

I don't think I explained quite what I wanted. I didn't want a tank that looked like it had been made on a medieval world or by primitive people so no basic weaponry or steam power. Instead I wanted a chimera that was made on a forge world, but is one of very few that is assigned to my world. As such it would be a revered treasure. I wanted it to look like it had been decorated and embellished by a middle ages people, so it'll have flying pennants, the areas will go (I agree Tyr). If I could get one cheap I could swap the turret with the steam tank to represent a tank that got damaged and repaired, but mostly I want it to look like a medieval artist was given a tank and told "make it look special'.

The hull will get decoration not just the sides, I just started with them .

In retrospect I gave this thread a bad name. Thanks for the suggestions

+ Reply to Thread