Librarium Online Forums banner

How can I build this?? It's BIG!!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  USB turntable 
#1 ·
Hello LO, havent been on a while, but I have a question, how would you go about building a Derrick (from Gears of War 2), My only option, and cheapest, would be to make most of it out of plasticard and like big toy digger style wheels, pic attached, its the on in the middle the big one

doesnt want to copy paste links, but itis on google, and I'm guessing people have heard of it. Btw, if I do do it, I'll post progress on LO.

Its meant for a Space Marine army, as thats my current, to transport an entire army, or most of it..I dont want to be obvious and build a Gears of War esque army to go with it

#3 ·
I'm guessing that they'd be super easy to build. I'd actually use foam just like you would make a hill or piece of terrain. Make the deck from foam, and use foam to "bulk out" the center area that the wheels mount to. You can actually find large rubber offroad tires by google searching sites that deal with nitro-rc-cars. It's much cheaper than buying a whole toy.

The walls, gun platform, cockpit, and cranes can all be made from plasticard. I would also buy a model truck just so for a few random component bits, but that's just me. Maybe hit up BitzBarn or something to find some weapons and other little details to give it a 40k feel.

Do you want it to actually be an army transport? Like- put your models in and go from game to game? Because I doubt this would have much space to hide away models. Remember- they're only big enough to fit a squad of gears on top of. Unless you packed them in like a WW2 landingcraft, in which case you could probably stand about 150 men on it if they were packed in shoulder to shoulder.

#4 ·
well, thanks for the input, I think the best option would be to go with plasti-card (or its equivilent if I can find some), and yes the toy parts are an essential

As for carrying an entire army, maybe not, the Derrick deck is pretty big, though I think it would be more suited to be a transport for what, 10 men? I'm though, just not sure what I could count it as or if I would have to go with a new 'made up' model, mainly due to it being open topped! I'm thinking Land Raider...?

The idea for a mobile seige tank (e.g. using the driller for Deth Korps of krieg on Forgeworld,putting it on the front of the rig), and counting it as it being able to destroy terrain (city fighting option, I left hobby around 4/5th edition, few years back, and so I havent got back to the rules,etc since I've wanted to begin again about a week ago), makes it a moving assault bunker option very interesting for conversion.

Of course, I dont think I'll make it as big (it comes near to Titan size in height if I built it to scale,e..g gears soldier sized marines). Though a smaller 10 man moving seige bunker with dril, would be an interesting conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.