Brain storming help for CoD - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Brain storming help for CoD

Hey all

Just coming to the end of painting and wanted to turn my hand to modeling some City's of Death scenery, eventually so I will have stuff for my own board but for the short term to take to the local GW on vets night to have decent terrain.
    The idea is to have lots of ideas so I can pick and choose or build them all and have different terrain when I please. To start with simplicity and effectiveness is important as its my first time building this type of stuff so small details for no effect is useless. That said I want to try my hand at some electrical work, moving parts and lights to see if I can do it. All ideas are welcome and any CC is much appreciated.

Here's the ideas so far, sorry for lack of pictures but all I have is doodles so imagination is required All the ones in red have moving bits.

Fans.
    1) Have a vent coming from the floor. Sort of like having a missile silo on the ground for its size but using a computer fan for effect.
    2) Wind turbine. A tube made of chicken wire on its side with 3 propellers attached to an axle through the middle. One end of the tube houses the motor whilst the other has pipes coming out into the ground. Perhaps like a Pringles tube for length but slightly bigger diameter.

Clockwork.
    1) Broken Mechanicum building. Have a relatively intact building but where there are holes or a wall has been blown off have cogs exposed which turn slowly. Perhaps a red warning light also.
    2) Clock face. Think the top of Big Ben blown off and on the ground. 5 minuets to midnight

Train track.
    1) Rail network. Nothing fancy, train track mounted on a base, a few straights branching off into 4 or 5 different lines like a train yard would.
    2) Station. Again just a simple platform will do, ramps either end and perhaps a ticket building for some cover.
    3) Ruined Train. Suitable industrial looking train with a few carriages de railed and rusty.

Centeral squares.

1) Tall column. A 4 sided column with a drape off each side. Each can depict propaganda, imperial might etc. Mounted in the center of a large square base which has a low outer wall for cover.
    2) Park. Odd I know but I've always thought Central Park looks odd where it is so meh. Thin rows of trees to line a boulevard perhaps or a large circular patch of green with a big tree in the middle and smaller bushes and walls around the edges.

Random stuff.
    1) Landing pad. Yes I know there is a plastic one coming out but unless its 15 quid like the other CoD stuff I can build one cheaper! Basically copy the one off Forge World but add in landing lights like you get on runways. 4 strips which flash from the outside in then reset to the outside again.
    2) Communications array. 3x3 square platform raised off the ground with a ramp on the right and left. The central square is left out and a scaffolding raises out arrayed with satellite dishes. At the top is a spinning radar.
    3) Warehouse. Nice simple aircraft hanger type building with the roof blown out and lots of creates all over the place to provide cover.
    4) Search light. Like you would get on a prison wall. Just panning from left to right will do.

Phew! That's all of them I think. Most of them are quite big jobs but I think I can start on a few of them such as the train track, clock face and the central pillar quite easily.

Again CC is welcome, whattya think then?

PL

Last edited by Pheonix Lord; June 3rd, 2009 at 00:57.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I found a variety of roadblock scenery pieces quite handy. Things like tank-traps, mine fields and rubble piles. It lets you cut off roadways and remove wide open areas.

They're also really wasy to make.

for the big picture try and 'place' the table. Is it city centre with a park? Or an industrial area with pipes, storage tanks etc. Mixing different themes can be a bit funny looking.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    Fans
    The computer fan is now officially a 40k terrain cliche. Your call on that one.

Wind turbine
    AKA Fan . . .

Clockwork
    Now you're talkin'!

Get one of those battery-powered pendulum wall-clocks.
    Move the hour hand to the minute spindle, and the minute to seconds.
    Now, reverse the battery polarity so it runs backward . . . ;- )

Train track
    Careful, train dioramas are a dangerous beast - too easy to get sidetracked [nyuk!].
    It's so easy to get carried away and make an entire board of RR dioramas.
    They're wicked fun, but dioramas don't make for the best battlefields.

Imo, 12x14in bases are about the max size for convenient modular terrain.
    So, I believe, a ruined Bullet Train *factory* better fits a 40k battlescape.
    Just an assembly area, jib crane and track spur. Neat and tidy.

Tall column. A 4 sided column with a drape off each side. Each can depict propaganda, imperial might etc. Mounted in the center of a large square base which has a low outer wall for cover
    Aka a kiosk. I feel a centerpiece should be able to double as an Objective.
    It's hard to justify Marines fighting over want-ads.
    Well, maybe Chaos Marines . . .

I've always thought Central Park looks odd where it is
    Now imagine it on a twisted, burning cinder rugby field for Titans.

. . .

. . .

. . .

Sorry, caught-up in the moment. Where was I? Oh yeah, Upper Manhattan . . .

Landing pad
    I've given any number of these away - they're a cinch to make out of plastic wire spools.
    That is, the plastic spools upon which bulk electrical wire is wound for sale.
    Places that sell such wire by-the-foot simply throw spools away.

Ask your local hardware clerks.

a spinning radar
    Another cliche. This would be perfect for Planetstrike, though.

Warehouse
    The staple: Single-storey "L" shapes with no - or boarded-up - windows.
    With TLoS in mind, these can account for >50% of your terrain needs.

Search light
    Another favorite that's never done well.

Problem is, intense lights need too much energy.
    Model RR dioramas all use wall outlets for power.
    40k players tend to stick with one AAA or AA battery.

Generic lights are easy. Spotlights? Not so much.

I think I can start on a few of them such as the train track, clock face and the central pillar quite easily
    Yep. And as an alternative to the Kiosk, consider a statue befitting your army -
    Center it on a concrete pad with perimeter benches and a decorative hedge.
    An icon/ shrine is believable as a rally point or Objective in 40k missions.

HTH

Playa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Playa.... Rep for such a straight up post. I think I sort of knew the bad sides as well as the good but we always over look them don't we? Were all human eh.

Well going off the corner stone set by The Paint Monkey of having a theme lets get to work! I originally intended the theme as being a ruined city but that's a little too loose so time to narrow it down. From the excellent advise from the above post I think that I would like to go with an import export meets outskirts theme. That is to say some industry and shipping (trains, warehouses, landing pad) and some roads with generic ruins with the odd focal point (kiosk, Clock Tower, Power Generator).

Theme sorted lets move to the buildings. Here's the proposal:
    Generic Ruins. Already own the Imperial Sector so I've 4 nice ruins to use.
    Clock Tower. Loved the idea from player so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for clock with a pendulum, then just incorporate it into a ruined building/tower.
    Kiosk. Yhea I suppose slogans aren't something to fight over too much so I will incorporate Bugbates excellent Plasma Generator building to be the center of the square. I think powers quite important hmm?
    Trains. Will be just a ruined station with a ruined train de railed. As stated above, don't go OTT with train track so just in front of the station. Anyone played Fallout 3? Sorta like that I suppose.
    Warehouse. As stated above, a couple of generic warehouse looking buildings with creates littered about.
    Landing pad. Land trade and Air trade mixed together.

This list feels a bit tighter and may work better, thoughts welcome. I will draw up some neat doodles to give some better ideas soon.

PL
    Last edited by Pheonix Lord; June 3rd, 2009 at 23:39.
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

+ Reply to Thread