Pro Vs Self Paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Pro Vs Self Painted models

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Self Painted

71 93.42%
  • Pro Painted

5 6.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro Vs Self Paint

Hi,

After attending a few gaming sessions and witnessing a couple of 40k matches, I was allways impressed with peoples models. even if they wherent the greatest paint job in teh world the time and effort people had put into there armies is something that makes me smile......urm....anyways

Recantly whilst talking to one player who said that he had paid for his army to be painted by a professional, which brought a bout a lightly heated discussion around the table.

the main points and arguments where as follows

Pro Self -

It is MY army.
    The time and effort really pays off and i enjoy doing it,
    I fight better with models i have laboured over.

Con Self -

Can be frustrating if i make a mistake,
    I cant paint anyways,
    Badly painted models will allways keep up the barrier for commiting to the match.

Pro Pro -

Really good looking models that highten the experiance,
    Impressive to see an artists work do battle,

Con Self -

EXPENSIVE
    A sense of detatchemnt with your army.

Anyways these where just a few that came up, In the end no one really minded he was quite adiment he liked the game and didnt hjave the time for a hobby.

Was just woundering what you guys thought of Pro Painted Models?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

If you want someone else to paint your models then go for it. I'd pay someone to paint my motorbike. I'd pay someone to paint my car. I'm sure I could learn to do these things myself and I'm sure I'd feel good about it but frankly, I can't be hooped. I've more important stuff to do with my time and if I've got the ready money then problem solved.

Same deal with painted armies. Maybe you just want to play the game but it looks better with painted models or they need to be painted for a tournament. If you're not a painter and have no interest in painting then feel free to get someone else to do it. Want to enjoy the feeling of creating stuff? Then you have to do it yourself. I can't see why people are really fussed.

ps. Did you sew those trousers yourself? No? How dare you wear them!!!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps. Did you sew those trousers yourself? No? How dare you wear them!!!

I hadnt thought about it untill it came up the night, i myself will probably at some point get a captain painted or a tank or something. And when i have the spare time i will paint the Combat Squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

although I hate painting, I would never ask somebody else to paint my army for large amounts of money, money is far more important than time to me, especially since I earn so little, and it wouldn't feel like my army, it would feel like I brought allot of models for somebody, then borrowed them off him for a huge price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
    money is far more important than time to me, especially since I earn so little
    This will change when you have more money. Think of someone with a reasonably paid full-time job. And a girlfriend or family, say. Or another hobby or friends. Or enjoys beer. Time becomes more important and money spent to have models painted is considered a sound option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to put it into perspective the guy who had the 'pro painted' is around mid to early 20s, there is no average age for the people who where there, it ranged from 16 - 40odd.

I know he lives with is girlfirend and has a full time job in an offce or something.

It did seem to be the older members and younger who agreed on painting your self, where as the mid range where for (if they could) getting some else to do it.
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    This will change when you have more money. Think of someone with a reasonably paid full-time job. And a girlfriend or family, say. Or another hobby or friends. Or enjoys beer. Time becomes more important and money spent to have models painted is considered a sound option.
    so think of my uncle who is in a full time job paying him the above the average (which should mean reasonable) for the telford area of £1000 a month who still has no time or money?.....how does that help?

and don't say "get a better job" anybody, thats one of the highest paying jobs in Telford which is actually possible to get (even though even I couldn't get a job there, but I couldn't even get a job in Argos for gods sake), if you don't know what its like round here I suggest keeping quiet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosty how much an average does it cost for a well painted say pfff Space Marine Bike ?
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

743 (x8)

Sure, I'm just explaining what appears to be 'the norm' for painting customers. I'm not suggesting everyone who meets the criteria will go for it.

It's probably also differentiating between GD standard 'pro-painting' (I F-ing hate the term pro-painted now. Thanks, eBay) and table-top standard commission work because they are related but different fields.

EDIT: I've only been to Telford once and then only for a day. It was the day I turned 21, oddly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you please explain the differances?

I beleieve the painter was an Adam Smith - Pro Painted Minatures.
    Pro Painted Miniatures | Pro painted Games Workshop, Historic, Star Wars and BattleFront miniatures

do you know which catogory he would fall into? & in your honest opinion what you think of him? im considering getting a few done myself.
    I'm Batman

W1 / L1 / D1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast