Dire Avenger GW Guide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dire Avenger GW Guide

Hi all, I wondered if someone could give me some help understanding something in the Painting Aspect Warriors Guide GW do. They're a great help to a novice like me (I only wish they'd do Warp Spiders), and I'm using it as a basis to paint my own squad of DA's.

However one thing not clear to me is when they tell you to water down some white and apply several coats. Could someone familiar with this kind of thing give me a bit more of a thorough walkthrough of it? Am I just supposed to lather each coat on? Or pick out high bits? How watery do I go?

Anything you can say to point me in the right direction will be a great help. I love the effect, and I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks very much

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

GW's paints are quite thick and they usually tell you to water them down to get smooth even coats, diluted white doesnt doesnt cover very well and so its almost like an opacity slider on photoshop.

I personaly dont notice a smooth coat of paint from 3 to 4 feet away so unless I am painting for display I dont bother. I usually do pure whites by putting down a base coat of horizon blue which is a realy old colour and could be replace with spacewolves grey. It is a nice clean colour for the shades and you will only need one full coat of white with a few touch ups here and there.

All this is mute because I have started dipping my models anyway. Here my WIP on my dipped eldar, I realy should post it all up here on LO but I havent got to it yet.

Dustans Dipped Eldar WIP
    Last edited by dustand; June 5th, 2009 at 03:47. Reason: used 'anyway' too many times in a sentence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, just to make the coat even? I was under the impression that it had something to do with the light blue undercoat used on the helmets. Anyway, I'll just have to paint carefully then.

Dipping sounds like a great idea, but they're already pretty much done besides the helmets n' crests so I'll have to try it later.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Yeah GW are pretty obsessed with making you paint the same area of a model 20 times. They also get carried away with their instuctions on painting lots of slightly lighter lines for highlights. It looks alright but to me it looks like poorly cell rendered picture. I prefer the more organic look of blended colours. I'll be the first to admit my painting style is usually a little lazy and seldom do I bother taking my time but I do churn out a lot of figures when I can pull myself off the xbox.

The only time its worth painting the models for display is if your a rubbish tactitian and a bad sport and your really need to to get extra points for painting at a tourney.

+ Reply to Thread