Thinning paints? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Thinning paints?

I use GW paints exclusively, and I keep reading on here to thin them. Why, and how?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Why? Because most paints are simply too thick straight from the pot. They go on too heavily, show brush marks more, and possibly obscure details. Thinned paints lay down in nice, smooth coats, brush marks disappear because the paint isn't sufficiently thick to retain them, and they won't obscure details. Thinned paints may well need a few coats to accomplish the same colour coverage, but this is a bonus, as it lets you take your time getting it right instead of hoping it goes well in one shot.

As for how, the simplest approach is to add water and stir. There are all manner of acrylic mediums and additives you can mix in to achieve different results, but the basic idea is really simple.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Not much to add but to agree with Wraith. Thinning paints allows for smoothing looking coats and will not obscure details on the miniatures. Water is the best method - as its free and readily available. It just takes a bit of practice getting the right consistency of the paint.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Any recommended ratios of water to paint? The paints I usually use are often thin enough straight out of the bottle, but if I picked up some citadel paints (I need to buy a brand new paint kit, brushes/paints/washes/inks/etc) what would you recommend? I've also heard Vallejo paints are pretty good out of the bottle? Would they be better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by paregoric_HAL View Post
    Any recommended ratios of water to paint? The paints I usually use are often thin enough straight out of the bottle, but if I picked up some citadel paints (I need to buy a brand new paint kit, brushes/paints/washes/inks/etc) what would you recommend? I've also heard Vallejo paints are pretty good out of the bottle? Would they be better?
    Aaaaand you've managed to run headlong into the eternal debate.

Everyone likes their paints a bit different, and ratios change from paint to paint - different brands, different colours and even different batches of the same paint all need different amounts of water. Some are even ready to go, straight from the bottle.

The best approach I've seen recently is to try to have your paint at the consistency of fairly heavy cream.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread