High elf Fortress-Need Help (Improved) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High elf Fortress-Need Help (Improved)

Hi,i know that this is the second time i'm posting this but the last time i didn't have any pics. So here i go again:
    Recently about 1 week ago i started building a fortress for my high elves (i dont even know how it should look like) and have worked on it every day since.
    Its turning out quite good but i ran out off ideas of how to make the inside of the fortress.
    I decided to make a tower inside the fortress where my high elf mage could sit. Can anybody please give me some ideas of what and how to make the inside of my fortress and tower.

The Front looks like this(please ignore the background):

It looks like this from behind:

From the left side:

And finally from the right side:

I didn't make it in my room, I made it outside ( just saying).

It was entirely made out of Polystyrene and I used Lightweight Cover Adhesive to stick it together.

What I was planning to do was to put my 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers on the 2 little towers so they will defend the fortress a bit, and my archers could stand along the top of the castle gate shooting down anyone who darres to attack my fortress.

I was planning to do a tower inside, and put my mage at the top but I don't know how to make it. Also I don't know what else to make/ put inside the fortress. Please Help!!!

Also rate and comment please!

Last edited by Shakeru; June 7th, 2009 at 15:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

I dunno... It looks too utilitarian for HE IMO. You could make it more convincing by carving cruves into the walls, like a uniform concave curve on the outer walls.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would reccomend building some spires to add to the HE feel

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I would reccommend a tower that's about the same height again, with a platform at the top.
    I would have it curve inwards towards the middle, (concave curves) so it looks elegant, like a high elf structure. Then top it off with a platform you can fit 25mm bases on going around it, and the top of the stone (from the platform up the top of the stone would look like a stretched pyramid)

You could paint it up as a "standing stone" or stone of power - placed on the ley lines to control the magical flux in the world. (or whatever they do)

That's the only thing high elves would build a fortress around IMHO.

Other stuff - a well, provisions, barracks, mess, fletchers (you like your bows) blacksmithy maybe, or important buildings you wouldn't want to have fall into enemy hands / be attacked (maybe an alchemists as you like your magic - think of an oriental curved bottle for that building's shape, and a medley of bottles, and maybe a cauldron outside.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I think the construction is solid and overall I like the design. You could definitely spruce it up with some elven runes/details as other people said but at the core it looks good. I really don't think every single high elf building has to be tall and full of spires though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got a good foundation to work with. A pic with a mini would help give a sense of scale.

Details are what make a good piece of scenery. Think of your fortress as telling a story by the details in it. If it's for a mage, bookshelves and runes, scorch marks from spells gone awry, focusing stones to harness energy.

Also, are you going to use it in a game or is it just to display your collection?
    For useability, how do units get in and out? Is there enough room for combat, or does the enemy attack the unit by standing outside the wall? Also, is the terrain something any army can make use of, or does it only give an advantage to your magic heavy army?

Planning and fairness will determine whether your terrain is played on or sits on the shelf.

Keep up the good work, and please post more pics to this thread as you do more work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    229 (x4)

You asked for criticism and rating..
    all the above posters are correct and good encouragement all, but I think you're looking for more direct help, yes?

Step 1. i see the wide sections of styrene walls are not covered.. just the corners/joints. GO back and cover the ENTIRE thing with the spackle. trust me.

step 2. go to hardware store, home improvement store, super store whatever.. buy 220 grit sandpaper (300 grit if you can find it) attack your plastered wall sections. the bumps and rough spackling makes the fort look very VERY human, not High elven. Smooth textures and regal swooping lines scream HIGH ELF! and you should put a bit more attention to the outer walls if you want this to say "high elven fortress". Right now, to alot of us, it looks like a generic fortress.

Magus is right. scenery tells a stroy. You're going to call this a High Elf fortress...
    - Did the High Elves build it? doesn't look like it yet..(sandpaper is step 2 in making it look like they did.

- Did they sack it from a human settlement and make it their own?
    - was it an anciuent ruins of a human settlement and they take it and rebuild it?
    - was it ork?

These are the questions that immediately come to mind when I look at your fort. The way you build scenery helps answer those questions.

Step 1. You play high elves. You must have a codex. Look at the pictures. Go online to GW sites or scour other forums or this forum for pics of Elven scenery. ((hell man, go watch LOTR and pause the DVD when they show elf city!)) see what the buildings look like, make sketches. then look back to your fortress. Does it look elvish? needs some spires, some curves, and some sloping lines.

Step 4. "IF" this is a high elven fortress, then make it look like it!! Carved runes into the walls (found in the codex or elsewhere) will say "Elves made this place" it gives the fortress Maybe some bits you have lying around added to the inside will help set it off to being a Elvish fortress. want examples?
    - take an extra body/chest piece from the bits box. drill a hole in the neck(shallow), then in the arm spots in only a bit and then in the bottom where the legs attach. (do NOT drill all the way through. now go get a straw or a tube or something that will resemle a stake. glue it into the leg hole you drilled. put it into the styrene in the Fortress grounds. hey look! an armor stand. extra armor on the stands, ready for wearing!
    these are the little added things you add to a scenery piece that help say "THIS IS AN ELVISH FORTRESS!"

these extra steps i've listed are only a FEW ideas you can do to make your scenery look like you intended. People say "yeah but takes awhile so much work.." but then those same people say when they're done. "Man, this sucks..i can't do scenery."

You have the basis for an awesome piece of scenery, just take the extra hour or so of work to make it the way you intended. Good luck man, you're fortress is going to freakin ROCK.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should your scenery.
    Sho: out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Either should good scenery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shonuf's post reminded me of my experiences just starting with scenery. I wanted a huge piece, and I expected I would whip it out in a week or so. I did finish the piece I made. But, I was more in a hurry to get it done than to really make it look like the vision in my head.

I still have a tendency to start making my terrain pieces way too big. But, now I know I need to focus on all the details before I slap some paint on and call it done. Sanding is very important for almost any piece. Texture and form are going to play a big role in how the piece ends up. Also great texture and attention to detail on getting all your shapes just the way you want them can even make up for mediocre painting skills (like mine).

So I'll re-itterate what Shonuf said: Details!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

I agree with the other, what you have is a solid core for your building.

Firstly i does need smoothing off, plastering then sanding it like Shonuff said will make a world of difference. Alternatively you could clad it with card or something similar.

Secondly curves do make something look elven. However unless you are a scenery master/have a hot wire cutter that may be less than easy. I wonder if your basic shape, but smoothed, painted an elven colour, with lots of curves added as details, ie windows, doors like the main one you have made, elven shaped arrow slits and even details like pennants, shields and symbols may help convey the same idea without the advanced carving work.

Thirdly like stayscrunchyinmilk says a good old fashioned obelisk always gives an elven feel.

I'll try to mock up what I mean

..right, not the best drawing and it may detract form my point, but what I mean is you may be able to add the elven theme with details and colour if making an elevn shape is too complicated

Last edited by matus; June 20th, 2009 at 13:46.

+ Reply to Thread