Trying to guess colors -- ideas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    New England, USA
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

457 (x8)

Trying to guess colors -- ideas?

Yes, again asking for help. Pathetic, I know

I'm looking to finally paint up my Cygnar (nearly finished my Eiryss model. Pics to come soon in my WIP thread), and I'm trying to find something a little "out of the box" for them. I found this awesome guide (Clicky!) and I really like what they've done there, from the theory to the overall look.

Trouble is, there's no explanation as to what paints were used to get the look. The blue I can probably figure out on my own, but that burnt-red-orange is perplexing. I'm sure it was a series of browns, maybe some washes, but it's not clear. There's a similar guide there (Clicky!) that does tell what paints were used, but those colors don't look QUITE the same on those models, so I'm guessing the one I'm really looking for is a bit different.

I've tried messaging Dead Dogg, but no dice. Does anyone know how to get that dark red-orange? Keep in mind, I usually use Vallejo (game or model color range) for "regular" paints like this. Also, I noticed that the boots and other items have a neat, reddish leather color. Anyone know the best way to do this?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements

Northern Ireland
    2 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Getting the exact shade will be hard. I think it looks like a warm, light brown. GW and vallego (however that's spelt) use very similar colours to what you want. I suggest you find the colour you think is closest to this shade. Then add what you think will change it, orange or whatever. Remember when you mix colours it is easy to make them darker but much harder to make them lighter. And the more paint you add the more chance you have of the impurities taking over and they will turn it all rapidly grey.

Slight or more than slight colour-blindness on me or you may be an issue here. Men are often a little bit colour blind because we have only the basic parts in our eyes to see colour, females have very good colour vision. You could try to show a female the image. She 'might' identify what the colour is more easily than you.

+ Reply to Thread