What brushes do you use? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

What brushes do you use?

Im currently painting with some umbrella bristlled monsters. What brushes do people recommend to a man with a medium to high end budget? I want quality but also value for money.

Ive been using the GW brushes for a while and havent had many bad expierences with them, Ive been eyeing up some Windsor and Newton lines but Im unsure which are suitable for minature painting. Ive seen the Series 7 Kolinsky sable brushes but again Im unsure.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

You pretty much answered your question there I dunno if anything will ever unseat the series 7 as 'the' brush for painting miniatures. Just make sure you order the short handled miniatures series. Friend of mine ordered regular ones by accident and was quite confused about why everyone raves over a long handled brush!

These:
    Winsor & Newton - The Worlds Finest Artists' Materials

I personally only use my W&N brushes for fine detail, final highlights, etc. I really like Loew Cornell Golden Taklon as a synthetic workhorse brush. Base coating, washing, foundation paints, etc.

http://www.loew-cornell.com/products.../45/index.html

Probably 90% of the paint I put down by volume is done with a #2 round and #2 filbert from that series. They take my abuse very well! Would happily recommend it as the best synthetic brush I've ever used. (and far superior to comparably priced hybrids like the W&N sceptre series)

Edit: Oh also, W&N Azanta, awesome for large scale drybrushing, tanks/terrain etc
    Last edited by InquisitorAffe; June 12th, 2009 at 05:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -33 (x0)

It's not the brush, its the brush-ie if you get what I mean. Personally I paint so much that any brush, good or bad quality gets ruined after a few boxes of models. So, I go to a craft store and pick up a 10 pack for around 15 bucks and I'm set for about 2 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Do you guys prefer golden taklon or various types of hairs or what? I just bought a pack of 5 golden taklon brushes (3/0, 0 , 5/0, and some other size) with soft rubber grips that work amazingly well. They have pretty average length handles but I saw some really short handled ones that seemed awkward in my hands when I felt them. So far they seem to work great.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I love the W&N Series 7, but I fear I may be using it wrong, as the brush seems worn out after only a little bit of use. I bought a new one to do metallics with (a size 1) and when I compared the new one to the slightly older one I was shocked at how much "smaller" the bristle section had become. Clearly I'm doing something wrong with it.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I have two W&N S7 brushes, curtsey of Ol' One Eye, that haven't failed me. They hold their point really well and are quite comfortable. I also use GW brushes, but mainly for things for basecoating etc, rather than detailing.

Kuffy

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by paregoric_HAL View Post
    Do you guys prefer golden taklon or various types of hairs or what? I just bought a pack of 5 golden taklon brushes (3/0, 0 , 5/0, and some other size) with soft rubber grips that work amazingly well. They have pretty average length handles but I saw some really short handled ones that seemed awkward in my hands when I felt them. So far they seem to work great.
    I use, like I said, LC Golden Taklon for almost everything until I get down to things like eyes, gemstones, script, display screens, etc etc.

Dunno what you're gonna do with that many teeny tiny brushes though If you get the good LC ones a #2 round and #2 shader or filbert should take care of almost everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

I absolutely love my W&NS7s.
    My size 2 gets used for most of my blocking/layering work, switching down to a size 1 for detailing.
    I have a size 0, which gets broken out for super-fine work, and I also own a 00 and a 000, but I have used them possibly once each.

I have some own brand art shop (CASS arts) that I use for palette work, and a pair of flat brushes that I use for drybrushing.

I can't recommend W&Ns enough, I really can't.

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I'm with the guy that goes to the hobby store. I went to hobby lobby when they had 50% off all brushes and loaded up on: American, Winsor Newton Eclipse and Galleria styles, Le Galleria, and some off brands to do scenery painting with. I got ~15 brushes nice brushes not including the off brands for about 30 dollars. I got every size between 0/18-4.

If you are just starting off I recommend doing that and then buy artisan quality brushes to replace the ones you find yourself needing more control of. For longtime veterans the WN7's are great, but for casual painters or beginners most any name brand medium range brush will do.

Princept Milligan of the Legio Tempestus

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Well, Ive got the afternoon off from Madame tomorrow, so I may go to town and invest in a few W&N7's.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast