Need help with white scars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with white scars

Right I know this is going to sound a bit stupid lol, but im looking to start painting for the 1st time in 13 years and want to do a white scars army.

What I would like to know is, is there a way that I can make them look table top quality but just without shadowing as I want them to look good but im not the best painter I don't think, I have very little knowledge of watering down and atm ive not got the money to get the different amount of grey to actually do the shadowing even if I wanted to.

Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

The best way to get around actually figuring out the light source and doing the highlighting and shading is to use a wash. There are plenty of guides on this and related subject if you go to the main forums page and find the tutorials link.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nks-index.html is one section, you might check out "dipping" too but a lot of people don't like it because it is very easy to make terrible looking minis with it and you are almost better off taking the time to learn how to properly shade/highlight instead of always taking the shortcut.
    Last edited by paregoric_HAL; June 12th, 2009 at 13:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

One option is to prime them grey, give the figure a very heavy drybrush of white, and then block out the main plates in white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Well, it seems you need a dose of black lining.

Paint it white and then very carefully and narrowly do the deep recesses in black.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Denrza View Post
    Right I know this is going to sound a bit stupid lol, but im looking to start painting for the 1st time in 13 years and want to do a white scars army.

What I would like to know is, is there a way that I can make them look table top quality but just without shadowing as I want them to look good but im not the best painter I don't think, I have very little knowledge of watering down and atm ive not got the money to get the different amount of grey to actually do the shadowing even if I wanted to.

Any help would be great.
    People say dipping is bad but they havent seen this stuff:THE ARMY PAINTER

I've seen it used it, is awesome. For white scars, go dark tone However, it is crutch, and you'll never get better at painting if you do it this way. Otherwise its great for standard rank and file guys. Go into the gallery part of the website for examples and technique.
    Last edited by Backdraft005; June 12th, 2009 at 16:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I was just seeing if there was any other techniques as I wanted to learn slowly one painting technique at a time.

I will have to get some money together and get some paints I think then

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

check out the link i sent ya anyways, i plan to use them for further armies. frankly im sick of painting rank and file guys myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I will do mate.

Hopefully ill be able to crack on with it from tomorrow so ill put up the first ones I do on here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Quixote View Post
    Well, it seems you need a dose of black lining.

Paint it white and then very carefully and narrowly do the deep recesses in black.
    This Idea is the best IMO, you get a clean look and that is important if you are going to paint white. Still you have to thin the paint or maybe get that black wash. But do as he say and paint careful, don't slap it al over the model.

White works a bot different then other colours, that's probably way peopled think its hard to paint. Its not so hard to paint. First you have to work with shade, because there is no brighter colour then white to use for the highlights. Also if you dry brush over grey the brush marks show quite well. And to wash al over the model with a dark big blobs of colour will show. And a to bright will not be seen at al. Lining is a quick way to go, and you don't have to think about the shading.

When I say clean I men the colour, of course you can paint on dirt after, but the parts that ar not dirty has to be "clean" painted so to say. Hop this helps and that im not to confusing...
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I really like the white scars look, but it's definitely not the easiest chapter to paint (because of the white). So if you're looking for something easy to start off with, I'd suggest going with something else.

+ Reply to Thread