Commission Painting Studio Survey - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Commission Painting Studio Survey

If anyone here has either ordered or is thinking of ordering from a commission painting service I would like to ask a few questions.

What exactly do you look for in a studio?

What level of quality are you looking for?

What is your expected price bracket per model(account for quality)?

What would be your preferred payment methods (pay pal, money order, etc.)?

If a studio offered high tabletop standards as well as display(golden demon-ish) level standards would you be prone to mix and match levels on a large project (accounting for a very significant price increase on display quality items)?
    (i.e. characters/elite units at high levels with troops at table top)

Any other comments you would like to make?

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I am not exactly a painting studio per se and I haven't paid anyone to do any work for me but I can give my perspective on your questions:

1. If I were to look into any company I would look for these things (I try my best to uphold them myself).

a. I would like good communication.
    b. I would like a good action plan.
    c. I would like regular updates with pictures.
    d. I would like any and all questions answered to satisfaction.

2. Quality is kind of subjective. It really is what do you want vs. how much it will cost. Ideally a good high quality table top standard is sufficient for most troops and vehicles with a focus on more attention to centerpiece units. That would be my recommendation. If you were going for single figures I would probably recommend for a display quality.

3. I don't have a formula for pricing really but I would expect high table top standard to be about double the cost of the model with display quality being about double the cost of high table top standard.

4. I prefer paypal because it is secure, quick, and allows customers to pay with credit card. However there is a fee associated with it. Money orders are good too. When you are dealing with checks and the like - I wouldn't send a completed model until the check cleared the bank.

Hope this helps some with your perspective. Lots of people painting and lots of different pricing. I would look for large galleries showing what they have painted so you get a good idea of what the quality is going to be.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    I would look for large galleries showing what they have painted so you get a good idea of what the quality is going to be.
    This would be a big one for me. You can get a good idea of pricing and an impression of the studio's history. If it's a couple of pics of an army done for a mate ('studio' is used loosely here) then I'd be more cautious. Several galleries of completed armies shows an ability to complete jobs.

Pricing comes down to what you want to pay but consider the length of time taken to paint a model and what sort of hourly rate you'd expect from a capable paint technician, which is really what you're paying for.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

I knew a guy that use to charge by the wounds or unit size, multiplied by the price for such and such quality. Medium quality (speed painted models) at 2 bucks. High quality at 4 bucks.

So a unit 10 man units of SM would be 20 bucks for speed painted, double for quality. Of course things would change a little depending on the complexity of the paint scheme and models. How, I don't know, but I don't he charge 2 dollars per zombie or skeleton, skinks or goblins.

Tanks or large models would be special and price discussed.

As far as payment go, if your an independent and NEW, you need to build up your reputation, and if customers aren't happy with the work you do, be prepaid to refund a little until you've gotten to the point where people are satisfied and you have recommendations. Examples of you work online obviously wouldn't hurt (likely required by prospective customers).

As far as the exchange of money goes, need to go on trust until you've build up a enough happy. I would do half now and half upon the models returned. If the customer snubs ya, just post him his name up on the forum.
    Last edited by Backdraft005; June 15th, 2009 at 03:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

The most important thing to me would be knowing what I'm going to get up front, before brush is put to the buik of my figures. This can be addressed by a good gallery, good back and forth communications about desired end result and pricing, and pictures of a test figure.

+ Reply to Thread