Need help on how to paint a red cloak - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help on how to paint a red cloak

Hi i am wondering if i could get some help on how to paint a cloak red and have it look decent. I would be using red gore as my base color but from there i don't really know what to do. I have seen model where people used brown and bleached bone as highlights,

does anyone have any good tips on how i should go about painting this cloak, i have looked at the AOBR masterclass Captain, but i don't want to do something that complex.

Oh yeah the model the cloak is own is the metal librarian with staff.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Doom146

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

red gore is a good start, would mix scab red and red gore together for the shading, maybe even as far as droppoing in a bit of scorched brown.

For highlights, I would paint very thing layers of blood red onto the raised sections, then ad in a little bronzed flesh, then a little bleached bone for teh top-level hghlights. Then I would was the highlights with a think yelow glaze to unify the colours and add warmth (if that is the intended effect)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A decent cloak is pretty easy to achieve. Basecoat in dark red, highlight with red, and at last a highlight with a lighter red. Boom! There is a pretty decent cape (from a long distance in my opinion),

If you want to take more time with it you could do it like this.

Start with red basecoat. For the shade I would mix dark red + black + dark brown in progressive shades to make it darker and darker into the recessess. With highlights use ORANGE to highlight red as in my opinion it looks the best. IF you use white or bone or something it will go pink and it looks just wrong. Anyways. Do progressive highlights with a mix of red and orange and add more orange to the red for every highlight and end up with pure orange!

There you have it. It's one easy way and one maybe not so easy way to paint a cape. Hope it helped you. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

There are a few different ways to approach a red cloak. here are my suggestions:

I would start with a dark red or red/brown as the base color
    Wash with brown ink
    Repaint the cloak with the base color leaving the brown to show in the cloaks recesses
    with fairly watered down paint take 2 or 3 reds in family of color you want and paint them on the raised areas of the cloak with each layer slightly smaller than the other.

When I say color family I mean 2 or 3 reds that are close together on the color chart. For instance, Scab red, gore red, blood red, etc. etc...

You can go use more than a few shades and even mix colors as you blend up the levels. The more layers you use the smoother it will be but you should be good if you keep your layers fairly watered down and translucent.

If you want a more burgandy red I would recommend using a purple ink wash instead of a brown one... Otherwise the same.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread