Painting White Question? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Member Brother Captain Shadow Dragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you get the white to look good on your models?

I'm painting a space wolves branch of chapter called the winter wolves. they will have white insted of the normal yellow. Plus parts of their aromour will be white (ie... one arm, one leg, or just parts of an arm or leg). This is how I'm starting if you can help I need it.

Black primer followed by a base coat of shadow grey sprayed on lightly (some black still shows through paint) so as icould use shadow grey and possibly space wolves grey to highlight. What would you do to get the white to look good over the shadow grey spray?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prime white instead. Or at least can leave off the shoulder pad or arm that's going to be white and not prime them black. Personally I think its easier to prime white and paint/wash in the shadows instead of trying to build up a smooth coat of white over dark colors. But if you insist, try a couple coats of light grey to build up first, then paint over with white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like to paint white armour by undercoating in black the a basecoat codex grey , then shadow grey , then a coat of space wolves grey leaving shadowed areas in shadow grey , then highlight whith skull white
    AE-86 Twin cam corolla . a beaut !

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/imperator-judicium' target='_blank'>Please visit my website . Imperator -=][=- Judicium .</a>

<a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Mojo.jojo' target='_blank'>LOL &#33; this is one of the funiest videos ive ever seen &#33;</a>

join the librarium-online dawn of war clan <a href='http://www.freewebs.com/librarium/' target='_blank'>HERE</a>

<a href='http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_slayer/index.php?showforum=1' target='_blank'>Check when the next clan game is on here</a>

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

It depends on what kind of white you want...

If you are looking for a brownish-white, like a Deathwing mini, then I recommend basecoating with bleached bone, inking with brown ink, and highlighting to skull white. Alternatively, base with skull white, ink wash with brown ink or flesh wsh, and highlight to skull white again.

If you are looking for a greyish white ( as would fit with the models that you are talking about) I would base with fortress grey, ink with thinned black ink, and highlight to skull white. Alternatively, you could bas with white, ink with VERY thin black ink, and highlight with skull white again.

For a more "sterile" white (i.e. apothecaries), base with either lighning blue or skull white, ink with thin blue ink, and highlight with skull white.

Hope that helps a little.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Would some of these various techniques work the same for vehicles?

For instance, if said Winter Wolves were to have a Rhino.

Would it work to primer it White and use the "Very Thin Black Ink" thing?

Please advise.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

I see no reason why they would not work for vehicles, but around the treads, I would have the armor " dirtied up" a bit by drybrushing brown over the edges to give the "rode hard" look, as well as some bits of boltgun metal painted randomly to give the impression of chipped paint . An all- white, pristine vehicle would look strange.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try grey primer, available from nearly any DIY shop, not the car stuff. Then throw on the codex grey, work in 50% mixtures up until you reach highlights of Skull White.
    What I mean by 50% mixtures is start with codex,

next coat 50% Codex 50% Fortress

next coat Fortress and so on.

Really nice effect, like the Valhallan tanks but more greyish. Should be wintery&#33;

-Steve
    Barneys Japanese Girlfriend: &quot;I would like a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a mans hat&quot;

Closed Thread