Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
This is everything I've painted so far for my DIY Marine Chapter. They are called Legio Victrix, and are an Ultramarine successor and as you can probably guess from the name are Roman themed, more so than the Ultras themselves, though I haven't gone quite so far as some people do when they are making Roman themed armies. I haven't written much fluff for them yet, other than a lot of musing on the chapter organisation (I was thinking of maybe making each company 80 marines, like in a later Roman Centuria) but I have painted quite a few models. This is the chapter symbol as seen on the side door of a Rhino:
Onto the models.
The Tactical Squad from the Battle for Macragge Box. I painted these over a year ago, and recently went back over them with the new Citadel Washes, however when I was taking photos I noticed that they could do with a lot more highlighting. I'll get around to that at some point.
Black Reach Tactical Squad:
Black Reach Dreadnought:
I'm really pleased with how the mud on the tracks and splattered up the back worked out.
Black Reach Terminators:
Black Reach Captain:
And with the captain:
Newest Tactical Squad:
Heavy Weapon Marines:
And finally, a Land Raider Redeemer:
Hmm, the weathering I've done to it looks more obvious in person. Never mind.
I'm quite pleased with how most of these models are looking. There are one or two things that I still need to do, like deciding what to write on the scroll on the front of the Land Raider and on the Company Champion's shield. Also some of them still need squad markings on the right shoulder pads (the macragge tac squad and some of the heavy weapon marines) but other than that they're pretty much all done. Opinions, anyone?
They look pretty good. I like the colour scheme and your icon is pretty cool - a bit like a stylised aquilla. I do think they could of done with a slightly lighter highlight, as currently its difficult to see the highlight - but I know how hard it is to highlight red.
Agreed with the noble Kuffy - a lighter highlight - possibly what you have done on teh assault ramp of teh land Raider, and it would look great - love the symbol, they look very "Roman Legion"
The bases all look good and the paint job looks very neat. Its just that that red and gold looks far too flat. Highlights may help somewhat to break them up but otherwise you have a solid painted army..
I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Maybe a mothril silver + gold highlight on the edges of the gold sections would bring it more to life?
I like this colour scheme and I think you've pulled it off well. I do think you could benefit from a few highlights here and there to make them stand out a bit more though.
That's the most impressive mud effect I've seen. I absolutely love it, and consequently want to use it on my 'guard tanks. Fancy explaining how you did it (or maybe even a tutorial?)
Good work I like them. The symbol is really nice and the colour scheme works well.
"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road
I see what everybody means about the highlighting. Generally I tend to go for a more subtle style, and only on certain edges rather than every edge like some people might do. It doesn't seem to have shown up well in the pictures, but I agree some of them could use a little more. It seemed to be difficult to get it right when I was painting them, as just a little more made them seem over the top. A few of the chest eagles could do with a bit more Devlan Mud as well.
I might have a go at one or two of them and see what improvements I can come up with. Actually, I'll try to go for more highlighting on the Assault Squad I'm working on now, and see if I can make the highlights stand out a bit more.Thanks.Originally Posted by Ravendove
I have to admit it wasn't my own idea. I stole it from UK White Dwarf 287 (from back when WD was still a good magazine) from an article about Guard Tanks. The article recommended modelling mud using a mix of PVA glue, water, static grass, ready mix filler and sand. They mixed the whole lot together and brushed it onto the tank tracks before the tank had been painted.
I did it slightly differently, as I didn't have any ready mix filler lying around, so I left that out, and the mix I used was just PVA, water, static grass and sand. Also, I brushed it onto the rhino after it was fully painted, and then painted the mud once it had dried. I gave it a black basecoat followed by scorched brown (this is the 'wet lumps of mud' on the tracks and churned up around the guards) . Finally, I drybrushed some graveyard earth around the bottom of the tank, and around the rear ramp to represent dried on mud that's been there for a while.
Terrific job on your marines.
I think I'll use that summary of your mud effects on one of my own Rhinos in the future. Absolutely brilliant looking!
"Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
-This space for rent-
Salamander project log
Thanks, I was hoping that people would like the mud effects. I might take some WIP pictures of the process the next time I do a tank and write up a tutorial.