Starting a Wraithlord conversion. Require tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting a Wraithlord conversion. Require tips

Yes, Yet another wraithlord conversion, I'm sure you guys are sick of them by now.

Ok so my experience in this field is very limited (as in practically non existent) so I was hoping for a few tips.

My Wraithlord will be in a kneeling stance, left knee on the ground, right knee pointing out slightly to the right. His Wraithblade will be positioned in his right hand in a reverse grip. His left hand will actually be holding an arm blade, which I will have to build from scratch.

I have a generalized idea on the arm blade, It will be approximately the length of the arm and double as a shield. I would like peoples opinions on how I can make this look eldar-like.

I have no problem green stuffing, pinning, magnetizing things so any tips or suggestions on how I can achieve this is appreciated.

Last edited by decoinferno; July 5th, 2009 at 23:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well no replies, disappointing.

If anyone is interested, this is how it turned out
    Photo-0022d.jpg
    The Shield over the Brightlance replaced my Idea of an Arm blade as the blade was not practical, The concept on the shield is a combination of miniature wing on a falcon and a shimmershield.

I will add finer details to it just before I paint it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the concept of the model but my critiques would be to do some research of human anatomy(being that he is human shaped). The sword going threw the legs like that and the position of the legs is very unnatural. I would also make the stone that the foot is on flush with the base and the robe cloth thing I would make going backwards laying on the ground since it going forward as it is implies that the model is retreating.

(You said you were working with magnets so idk if his arm with the sheild is glued or not but it would be much easyer to paint him with that arm and/or sheild off just as a sugestion.)

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

What's your overall army theme Infernp? Is it a Swordwind, mainly wraith, or all rounder?

I'd be going for plasticard when doing a shield coz I always find GS gets fingerprints and lines through it no matter how hard I try. I ask about the theme coz tat can really affect how you'd do your shield. If your a Biel-tan swordwind army for instance you could do the shield shaped like the thorn bush helix pattern that appears so much on that army. If it was for a Saim-han army then shape it like the serpent rune they use.

The overall model is very cool though, great pose. Been meaning to get my had on a wraithlord and really go to town on it.

Keep posting pics, I want to see how it turns out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Power Hungry Monkey View Post
    What's your overall army theme Infernp? Is it a Swordwind, mainly wraith, or all rounder?

I'd be going for plasticard when doing a shield coz I always find GS gets fingerprints and lines through it no matter how hard I try. I ask about the theme coz tat can really affect how you'd do your shield. If your a Biel-tan swordwind army for instance you could do the shield shaped like the thorn bush helix pattern that appears so much on that army. If it was for a Saim-han army then shape it like the serpent rune they use.

The overall model is very cool though, great pose. Been meaning to get my had on a wraithlord and really go to town on it.

Keep posting pics, I want to see how it turns out
    The theme of my army is pretty all round but I am building it up to be more mechanized. I have invented my own craftworld which has its own characters but is effectively a merge of several craftworlds; Biel-tan, Saim-Hann and Ulthwé, leaning on the side of Ulthwé.
    Here is my colour scheme.
    Photo-0021.jpg

As for plasticard I had a look but was unable to find any in my local craft shops I am currently making do with some shaped solid plastic wrapping material with greenstuff on top :3.

Tz'arken, Thanks on the advise with the cloth, I will change that when I get back. I have also changed to foot against the rubble to the bent toe one to make it look more natural. As for the shield it is currently only held on by bluetac as it is only a concept.

The blade does not go through the legs, I should probably post pictures from other angles to give you an idea (I tried just now but the PC ate the pic when i saved the colour correction).

Edit: This is an older pic but the posistion of the sword has not changed much.
    Photo-0022f.jpg
    Last edited by decoinferno; July 6th, 2009 at 11:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it looks a lot better at that angle than that first pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tz'arken View Post
    I think it looks a lot better at that angle than that first pic.
    Tz'arken is right, looks cooler from that angle, like a crouched Jedi ready to strike.

Have you though about giving the wraithlord the same kinda sheild the Avergers have, so it can look like a blade but still be a shield? After all, the eldar are that advanced that a shield to them would more be an energy field then an actual hunk of metal/wriathbone guarding the body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Power Hungry Monkey View Post
    Tz'arken is right, looks cooler from that angle, like a crouched Jedi ready to strike.

Have you though about giving the wraithlord the same kinda sheild the Avergers have, so it can look like a blade but still be a shield? After all, the eldar are that advanced that a shield to them would more be an energy field then an actual hunk of metal/wriathbone guarding the body.
    My initial design is hard to see, The Shield contains a shimmershield but there is an actual shield there incase the shimmershield falters (which by judging on the rules is 2 out of 3 times ) .

I think I need a better design there but it was and always will be my intention to include the shimmershield in the design.

The shield needs to be slim in design as to not add too much bulk to the model and to keep with the lanky feel of the model

I am having a hard time finding plasticard though, anyone have a suggestion? I live in the UK, more precisely NI
    Last edited by decoinferno; July 7th, 2009 at 10:42.
    Eldar: Hakan-eth Craftworld - Lead by Head Farseer Jaraith 2500pts
    Tau: Yihe'ya Sept - Lead by Shas'O Yihe'a Montro Myen Kauyon 1500pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x2)

Most hobby shops should have plasticard of some sort. Best bet is places that sell model plane and train kits and that sort of stuff. Can normally get platsicard, tubing, brass rod, small gauge chain and a heap of other cool modeling stuff.

Not sure which places specifically to look for in UK but when I was visiting a few years back saw hobby shops in most of the towns I visited. At the very least thers gonna be a bunch in London or just ask at your local GW (if you have one)

+ Reply to Thread