Disassembling Plastic Miniatures - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disassembling Plastic Miniatures

Heya,

Anyone have any ideas on how to ease the pain of taking apart plastic miniatures after they have been assembled using plastic glue? I ask because my brother decided to purchase the World Eater upgrade sprues from FW recently and now needs to break down his several units of terminators and space marines. Anyone know of any solution to help soften up the joints or any other methods to help minimize the breakage? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry man. But i dont think you can seperate parts with plastic glue :/ From what i heard, plastic glue "melts" the plastic parts together because of some chemical reaction.

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

Patiance and a hobby knife is the only thing I can think of. You'll just have to cut the guys apart

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

eBay the models, use the cash to finance the bits you need from a bits site?

In all seriousness though, as mentioned, a sharp hobby knife and a few free nights is the only way, maybe with some GS for any mistakes you may make. Good luck.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Put them into the freezer. The part where the plastic glue hlods them together will become more brittle when it is very cold. This will enable it to snap more easily. Though a modelling knife will be likely needed to help. Be careful not to cut yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Hey,

I have sometimes found that the process of stripping minis with break fluid has accidentally separated plastic bits - usually when I've left them in the fluid for too long (say about 2 days or so). I can't guarantee this will work but it might be worth a try. Just don't use acetone, it might do the job but it'll leave plastic a bit sort of rubbery and deformed.

if it's just metal , you can boil them briefly but plastic is a real pain because of the basic fact that you're fusing the plastic together by melting it with the plastic glue.
    Please check out my new blog and let me know what you think.

+ Reply to Thread