base decor - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: base decor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

base decor

I want to do lava style bases for my deamon army. Does anyone have tips on how to do it well so that it looks like pg 229 in the large rulebook?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Apply some sand to the bases with PVA as normal but leave some areas blank. Paint up the sand as normal and then do the lava. The sand will seem to be raised and make it look like rivers of lava between the areas of sand. Use some green stuff to make little bubbles. Remember that lava glows from the inside so paint it like that. The lightest colours go on first and then apply the darker ones on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I think I got my ideas from a CMON article but this is how I did lava bases and I think they turned out well. (I do like leech's idea of adding a bit of sand for the "crust" that forms on the top of lava)...

I glued cork tile to the base - leaving the "lava channel" open.

I glued sillica balls strategically for "lava bubbles" you can get these sillica packs in most electronic equipment. They are usually packed with hard drives and such to keep the moisture out.

Using a liberal amount of PVA (white) glue cover the lava areas of the base. As the glue dries it will create a slight uneven surface giving the lava a rippling flowing look to it.

As for painting it... I kind of started with the darker colors and while the paint was still we blended in lighter shades up to a near white at the "hottest" parts...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice,
    I will have to look around for those little bead bubble things. Maybe those airsoft pellets would work since I don't have too many harddrives shipped here.

+ Reply to Thread