Non-recessed Rivers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Non-recessed Rivers

Between two separate trips to the hobby shop I've picked up a nice little sci-fi bridge, and a bottle of water effects. This is pretty much screaming out to me that I have to make a river. If I was carving a table out of insulation foam so I could simply carve the river out, I'd be in great shape. However, due to space (and, lets be honest, patience) limitations I'm not sure that I'm all that keen on carving out 24 square feet of gaming table.

So I'm pretty much stuck to the traditional flat gaming table, which I'm pretty happy with except for the river. How out of the place does a river look when you have to make elevated banks? One thought was to make more of a canal, so while it would still be a little too high to be entirely realistic, at least it would be man-made so that might be easier to overlook.

Any good suggestions for above ground level rivers?

You play your game, I'll play mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine with a little effort, and varying the shade of blue from the bank of the river to the center, you can give a good illusion that it is going below the table, but since I've never tried a river personally I can't say for sure. As for the best way of finding out, I'd say get a small piece of whatever your going to use as the bottom, paint it, and pile up junk around it loose, varying the height of the banks to see how it will feel.

EDIT: Just remembered, the GW How to make Wargames Terrian book has a great section on non recessed rivers, if you have a copy, or can otherwise get access (Friendly local gaming store, a friend that owns it...) I'd say take a look at that to find out how the pros do it.
    Last edited by Adalias; July 13th, 2009 at 01:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my friend and I are building a similar table and came along the same problems. We bought a tub of dry wall compound covered the board with it and left the river banks bare so there was a bit of height to it. It gives the board a little more texture and varying heights but still makes the board relatively flat for easy storage.
    Last edited by rainreporter; July 13th, 2009 at 02:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

You also could make it like a canal, in that you could have a raised bit of concrete on the banks to 'hold' in the water.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

+ Reply to Thread