Magnetizing Vendetta/Valkyrie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Magnetizing Vendetta/Valkyrie

So, my buddy unexpectedly bought me a Valkyrie model. Knowing that I can't such a beautiful model go to waste waiting to be assembled while I choose which variant I like best, but wanting to do it justice I've decided to get the Vendetta conversion kit and some earth magnets so that I can try to make all of the weapon mounts swappable.

However, I've never used earth magnets before.

I'm not entirely concerned about them being totally unnoticeable (this is a play model, not a show model by any means). More that they are very functional (good strength, easily rotate etc.) without being huge eye sores.

Having not got the Vendetta conversion kit yet, but wanting to order the magnets so they get in around the same time i was wondering perhaps if anyone who might have done this particular type of setup cold recommend the size and strength of the magnets I'll be wanting?

Also, some general magnet questions would be can I just use normal krazy or super glue to hold them in place, as I would with the model itself, or do I need something special? Also, how easy/difficult are they to paint over if I don't make them totally inconspicuous and does the paint diminish their strength significantly?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

One shameless bump to try and elicit a response, then I'll let this thread die and venture out on my lonesome into the wide world of magnetism.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I can't speak to the Valk model, but standard super glue should work just fine. I've used Krazy Glue and Loc-Tite on them in the past and they work fine. Painting them shouldn't mess with the polarity, but if they're hidden, why would you want to?

It should also be noted that if you do paint them, the paint will eventually get scraped off through use, so you might want to just figure out how to glue them on unobtrusively. It doesn't take that much work to use a pin vise to cut a small well to put them in so they're flush with the surface, and not simply stuck on.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok then, i'll try to help as much as I can.

Basicly smallest magnets have, as far as I know, diameter of 3 mm and are 1 mm thick.

As you can see they should fit.
    Last edited by Shas'saal N'dras; July 21st, 2009 at 11:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Thanks! Buddy and I ordered some, so soon this puppy should be zipping around the tabletop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

I've done my own magnetized Valk/Vend, and I used the left over 2mm x 1mm magnets that I had from magnetising My Tau. They seem to be strong enough to do the job, so you shouldn't have a problem with the one's you've ordered.

The trickiest bit I found was magnetising the missiles onto the hardpoints. In the end, I cut a magnet sized piece out of one of the fins, embedded the missile's magnet below the missing piece, and then just glued the magnet into the hardpoint.

I had to do this because otherwise, if you sink the magnet deep into the hardpoint, it won't reach to connect to the missile pods or the lascannons. Basically, the hardpoint magnet needs to be flush with the bottom of the hardpoint.

Also, the spare light/sensor mounts for the right hand slot on the side of the cockpit make a good magnet backing piece to give you somewhere to mount the magnet in the left hand cockpit slot. Just shave it flat, and glue it to the inner side of the ridge in the slot. This leaves you with the perfect sized gap to mount magnets in.

Painting doesn't affect the magnets pull, and super glue works fine. Make sure you have a system for reliably determining which pole is which, because I can speak from experience when I say the magnets can be a pain to prise out of a model once they have been superglued in with the wrong face up...
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

+ Reply to Thread