4 horsmen iconography - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

4 horsmen iconography

So I am considering an idea. The idea is to have khan's command squad veterans to be the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I considered painting their bikes to match the horses colors but I think that would make the overall army look weird with 4 guys with 4 different color bikes. So I am looking into finding some icons or other bits to model certain things:

Sword-easy enough
    Scales- need to find something
    Bow-need to find something
    Crown-need to find something

I am thinking of putting the icon on the front fairing of the bike and painting each icon to match the colors, White,black,red, pale. I will also have the pale horse rider be a skull head and all my command squad will be wearing robes.

My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You could try a flag on each bike. These flags can have symbols or images that you think make them look the way you want. The flags would not overpower the look of the models and will mean they still fit in. Flags also have the advantage on bikes that they imply fast movement as they fluttler behind.

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

One of the Empire shield embosses is a Crowned skull, that would work pretty well
    Hobby help? Ask on Themed Armies - Brain for Hire
    WIP Iron Wolves, grrr
    Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! Join the Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

They could instead carry a weapon associated with each horseman, this could simplify things a little, war could easily enough carry a sword. You could sling a bow across conquest's back (though the original Latin translation was in fact that he carried a standard, this could be simpler). Death could carry a scythe which would undoubtedly look bad-ass, (a great looking one can be found in the empire wizard box).

The problem for me seems to be famine however, and his balance. You could perhaps represent it none literally? The concept of balance, maybe a matched pair of weapons or such? I'm not sure on that one.

Not sure if I've helped or hindered you here....

Also. Awesome idea. Needs to be said.
    Last edited by Cripsin; July 31st, 2009 at 02:02. Reason: Awesomeness report.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Thanks all are great ideas. Yeh the balance was something I hoped maybe some other company might have made for something lol.

I am aware of the bow being a standard which probably would be easier to model thought a lot of picture and interpretations it is a bow and arrow which would look silly on a marine. The flags on back are not a bad idea, though I tend to not like the aerial bits on my bikes or any models as they are prone to breaking and on bikes look kinda weird to try and ride with a big pole up in the air.

I had really liked to have the bikes all different colors and few people thought it would make them stand out way too much in the scheme of the rest of the army.

I think the different emblems on shields or other bits would be the route to look for. They could be filed down and flattened and attached to the bikes farrings. Dark angels already has lots of sword emblems and the crowned skull would work. Might be able to look around for some scales/balance on a shield or flag bit or something. I thought of tryin to find a statue of the blind justice that they use at courthouses that holds a balance.

Thanks for the compliment. I have always liked the idea of the 4 horsemen whether they are just even if just symbolism its cool idea of 4 guys riding around looking all bad A and riding horses then I started my bike army and thought how cool it would be to have death on a bike along with other "riders". The command squad with Khan just seemed to fit. Having khan and apothecary just makes them that much better .
    Last edited by Tyrius; July 31st, 2009 at 02:15.

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

If you wanted to go really all out and play up the horseman idea you could mount them all, inc your Khan, on the WHFB Empire Engineer's mechanical horse. This wuld tie in really well with both the 4 hoursemen idea and the original theme of the Scras being mongols.

It'd be expensive and a bit of conversion work but you'd have an awesome centerpiece unit for your army with a heap of character
    Hobby help? Ask on Themed Armies - Brain for Hire
    WIP Iron Wolves, grrr
    Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! Join the Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

I have a friend who has mounted his black templar marshal on a mechanical engineers horse, and it does work rather well, the issue with doing four however would be managing four differant poses from a fairly rigid metal model....

I'll have a look around for icons that could be used for the shield idea. As an aside you could certainly paint the name of each horseman on there 'steed' somewhere, perhaps in latin.

You could in fact do the front 'mudguard' for want of a better word in the colour of the horseman and put the name on the side, with the symbol mounted above. Thus not straying too far from the overall army scheme. Even just a shoulder pad perhaps.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

Khan I am basing off Sammael model on a jetbike to make his moondrakken stand out. I havent looked at the mechanichal horse but I guess as mentioned they are metal and expensive I will see what bits I can get and see how just the front "mudflap" painted a different color will look.

+ Reply to Thread