Librarium Online Forums banner

real scale bolt pistol prop

13K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Deadstar_MRC 
#1 · (Edited)
So i have been mulling around the site, and the internet, for the past few months looking for inspiration to make a prop 40k weapon, after failing (miserably) to try and make a real scale Bolter, i went about starting a little smaller, so i finally decided to make a Bolt Pistol instead

Firstly i have to state, i plan to make it LIGHTWEIGHT and thus easier to carry and transport, so i am going to use foam board (the prototype MIGHT be made from Card Board, as i get a bunch of it from work, but then its on to the foam board) for those of you asking, "Why foamboard?!" i offer the following answers, ahem:
1) its not as easily compressed as other materials (seeing as it kind of already is compressed)
2) its cheaper than conventional building materials, do you have ANY idea how expensive making a solid plastic bolt pistol would be?!
3) its easily sanded/shaped into other more organic (ie. handle) shapes

and so i give you the first stage... well kinda...
a roughly drawn out template that will either be the first piece of the prototype, or a template in order to make a FB prototype:

I know you can't REALLY see the template right now but give me a break, i'll cut it out later and upload a better picture, hopefully

and for those of you who want (i'm sure there's someone out there as geeky as me) i made a few templates (very rough might i add) to make your own:

note: the square in the corner should be a 1.5" by 2" square, so scale it up until it is, then print out each of the templates

also take note of the letters and the x# the letter corrisponds to each specific template, the number is the number of (3/16") Foam Board you will need to layer to get it to about the right thickness for a normal marine Bolt Pistol, if you would like i can make a quick little diagram of how the layers should fit together but it is basically like this:

Bolt Pistol: D->D->C->C->B->B->A->A<-A<-B<-B<-C<-C<-D<-D

Ammo Clip: _ _ _ _ II->II->I->I->x<-I<-I<-II<-II
(note: the x is simply the center line, not a piece)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like quite a bit of effort has already gone in to this; you've got my interest, at least!

Aside from wanting a bolt pistol to wave around, show off and threaten people with (and lets face it, who wouldn't want a bolt pistol of their own?) is there any particular reason you're wanting to build this? Part of a costume, or just a display/showpiece?

#4 · (Edited)
i was thinking PVC pipe, or something of the kind, they sell things called craft tubes which are essentially thick cardboard tubes, so i was thinking maybe those (since they are cheaper and i have the resources to actually CUT them)

EDIT:

ok i had the time this morning, so i cut the template out and here is what i got:

and a few pics to show scale:

i think it looks about right, but i think its just a wee bit small, any comments?

#7 ·
looks cool, after you make the first model, my suggestion for your next project would be an airsoft/paintball version.

Do you know how sweet that would be? Do you?

And it wouldn't be too hard, I'm imagining taking a similar-looking gun and making the bolt pistol around it...Idk if that would work in real life but it looks cool in my mind

#8 ·
From those shots you've posted the scale seems pretty right. I think you'd struggle somewhat to fit an airsoft or paintball mechanism in there so, much as it would add an extra layer of cool, I say stick with the basic model for now!

#10 ·
well its been a week now but i got some updates for you all

i finally got around to cutting more pieces out and i put them together quick just to give you guys an ides:

First a Normal "on the ground" shot:

Next up a nice scale shot:

And of course a down the barrel look:

now i know its still a bit thin. but its a prototype! give me time to refine it!

#12 ·
wow almost a month and this guys hasn't updated, geez whats his case... er hurmph

ANYWAY:

i bring to you all a new update! i finished the next 2 layers (the pieces that were cardboard) and i finished the top sighty thing (mostly) without further adu:

an overall:

scale shot (hand not included!):

and finally the down the barrell:

still quite rough but making progress!

@Tanith Ghosts: idk about metal but maybe plastis plated!

#13 ·
Is it awkward getting your finger in that trigger guard? I mean, I know you're not wearing power armour or anything, but... it just looks a bit small, that all.

But otherwise, it's looking good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.