Valkyries and Chaos IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valkyries and Chaos IG

So I'd like to incorporate my converted traitor guard (Blood Pact) into the new IG dex. Specifically into an air cav army. 7-9 Valks and Vendettas.

However, being a poor ass college student, there is NO WAY I can afford the models.

So I'm looking for ideas. Some kind of flying contraption that could be a suitable "counts as" vehicle. Pretty much nothing is too weird, as we are talking Chaos here. Hell, the Blood Pact novels had everything from warp creatures that could swallow an entire planet's water supply, to daemon-possessed scarecrows. So some kind of possessed/mutant machine is definitely a possibility. Though being completely mechanical is fine too, I can chaosify anything.

Preferably cost effective please. I bow to my fellow creative minds of the 40k world...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

Hey dude, hate to say it, but almost none of my converson ideas are ever cost-effective. I feel it stems the creative flow too much, but I'll try.

The biggest problem is there arn't any flyer kits in the range except the Valks or the FW stuff (and they're way more expensive). Of course thers the grav tanks of eldar and tua but they're not nearly imperial or chaosy enough even with a heap of work.

The problem with the Blood Pact is they are an elite military outfit both in their methods of waging war and in their equipment and wargear. They're not gonna have a cobbeld together flying thing that is kept up by luck more than engineering skill (like orks) but are gonna have their own Lightnings, Thunderbolts, Valkyries, Marauders and such. More likly even to have Hell Talons and Hell Blades. This really makes it hard for you from a modelling sense.

If it were me I'd get the Valks and platicard the hell out of them to make them more spiky and choasy but as you said thats rather expensive. You could try getting the basic chasis off a rhino or chimera (something that looks the right size for a troop carrier) then make platicard wing in the same shape as the FW Hell Talons. This will end up cheaper than buying a Valk kit but it'll be much harder depending on your plasticard skillz.

I'll have more of a think about it and get back to you. Hope I've helped
    Hobby help? Ask on Themed Armies - Brain for Hire
    WIP Iron Wolves, grrr
    Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! Join the Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm hoping it's not utterly impossible.

I appreciate your help, and I hope you'll come back after a think. :-)

When I mentioned a daemonic/weird looking vehicle I didn't mean to give the impression that I was looking for a hodgepodge cobbled together vehicle. Something can look odd, but still be sinister and effective. Something that suits the Blood Pact.

Don't forget those super effective shock-vehicles from the novels that were basically spiky/thorny wiffle balls with plasma guns rolling around crushing troops and frying them with plasma.

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x2)

That said, your still ganna have to have something with wings of some sort, even if its just stabilisers on an anti-grav/daemon powerd flyer. And your ganna have to make it large enough to concievably be a troop carrier.

The only things that fit with that sorta profile are tank chasis, Valk wings, maybe dragon wings or a plasticard scratch build. It's looking pretty grim I think. You could go the way of the Tua Orca and just add wings to a shoe box...

Maybe make a large walker (like the Stalk Tanks) and just count it as a flyer. It would tie in with the established imagery of the Blood Pact and would look very cool on the battle field. Of course this means buying a defiler for each transport then converting the hell out of it so maybe thats not the way to go.

I've reached the end of my thinking. I'm not a big one for converting vehicles above Dread size and with your monetary restrictions I'm lost for ideas. Hopefully others will give some more ideas that end up cost-effective. I'll se what the give you and we can all combine ideas to come up with something workable
    Hobby help? Ask on Themed Armies - Brain for Hire
    WIP Iron Wolves, grrr
    Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! Join the Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I remember seeing several fantastic looking cheap nurgle fliers on WIP:
    Work In Progress -> CHAOS

Use some search fu on that little fella, and if you come up with anything, put it on there too!

Also, depending on your monetary restrictions, you might benefit from a slightly higher expense (but sometimes, no where near as expensive) kitbashing.

I know its possible using Home - BITS AND KITS UK to buy the bits to make the main square hull of a valk for £5.
    If anyone believes on telekinesis, raise my hand!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody is gonna suggest model planes or model helicopters with the rotors taken off and plasticard wings?

That would be a lot cheaper than GW models, trouble would be finding something "valkyrie-ish", but heres so many I'm sure you ould.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately the model would have to be either majoritarily made out of GW bits, or majoratarily scratch built to be legal in tournaments. I am an avid tournament goer.

@Mellr0: I believe I found the one your talking about: http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_...558&st=0&#last.

It's a definite possibility. Thanks for the find.
    Last edited by TheCage; August 13th, 2009 at 05:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah okay, nvm that then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scratch built nurgle flyer looks sweet. Unfortunately I'm not quite adept enough to pull it off. If I could find someone who could commission models similar to this I'd be in business. I understand balsa wood isn't that bad to work with, but again, I'd rather go with someone who knows what they are doing.

+ Reply to Thread