Tau colour scheme + painting help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Tau colour scheme + painting help.

Okay guys, I've enter the Tale of Painters and need to get some tau painted up. Yt I cannot decide on a colour scheme. Using the Dawn of War army painter I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities;

What do you guys think? I like all 3 but I want to hear some other opinions.

Further more, I've had a fair few test models and failed miserably. It was a terrible attempt.

Which of these would be easiest to paint? Also, exactly how do all you pros paint armour? I can not get the painting to look "clean" i've always either got the colour of the cloth on the armour or vice versa.

Further problems I seem to have;

- I mixed water in with the paints at first. But then they kept running onto things i didn't want them on. With them too thick I was losing detail.

- Any suggestions on exactly what colours to use to make the colours for the schemes? I've not had much luck mixing colours for myself.

- How in the emperor's name do you paint white armour? All the white i've done looks like i've undercoated white and forgot to paint over it.

- Should I be under coating white or black? My local GW suggested black and I always have used black for under coating but it seems difficult when painting lighter colours.

Any other tips are appreciated

Glavas out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I quite like the look of the third one. Light colours tend to work quite well with the Tau. To me those colours would be; fortress grey or skull white armour and either scab red or gore red for the cloth.

If you're getting other colours on areas it doesn't belong, you just need to be more careful. Take your time and try and stay within the lines/area. It just needs practice.

Watering down paints can be tricky. To much water and it goes everywhere, too little and it doesn't flow enough. The usual tip is it should look like milk in its consistency. To me, I say eyeball it. Add the water a drop or two at a time, mixing it well - then test it on some paper of a test mini/bit of sprue. Do this until you are happy with the consistency. Also, remember not to load the brush up too much. A full brush of paint is just going to let the paint go everywhere. Less is more. Do a number of layers until it looks smooth.

White is tricky. The easy method at the moment is to use astronomican grey as a base coat. A few layers os this thinned will give you a nice basecoat. Now, water down some codex grey - make it quite thin and apply it to all of the grey section - including the recesses. This will shade it. Reapply the astromonicon grey to the areas that aren't shadow. Then apply a few layers of skull white - do this until the colour is solid. This is a decent guide: Biel Tan Eldar

The choice of undercoat depends. But usually, if you're doing a light miniature, then undercoating in white the better option.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

OKAY - I'm no pro, but I think I can try and answer some of your questions.

First - painting white. I posted a quick reply to my own tale of painters project thread about how I paint white here ([ToP] schnookems' Eldar Alaitoc Craftworld Army). It isn't easy and it takes patience, but white is very nice and goes well with almost every colour scheme.
    If you don't know how to water down your paints properly though, I do not suggest painting your army like the third screenshot you took.

Second - yellow is the same as white - it requires a foundation paint before layer upon layer (in my opinion), but it takes a long time to get a flat colour. So your first colour scheme, even with that little bit of yellow, might be found tough.

I personally like the second screenshot colour scheme you did, to be honest. The black with minimal red and orange would look nice and allows a lot of flexibility in doing other models like vehicles and such.

Painting armour requires, like everything else, practice. There are heaps of tutorials online about how to build up colours, doing washes and perfecting highlights, so my suggestion would be - do a google search! But it basicallt comes down to watering down your paints enough, but not too much. Terrible, I know... but it, again, takes practice.

Sorry if I haven't been much help, but I hope it gives you something to think about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by King Ulrik Flamebeard View Post
    I quite like the look of the third one. Light colours tend to work quite well with the Tau. To me those colours would be; fortress grey or skull white armour and either scab red or gore red for the cloth.

If you're getting other colours on areas it doesn't belong, you just need to be more careful. Take your time and try and stay within the lines/area. It just needs practice.

Watering down paints can be tricky. To much water and it goes everywhere, too little and it doesn't flow enough. The usual tip is it should look like milk in its consistency. To me, I say eyeball it. Add the water a drop or two at a time, mixing it well - then test it on some paper of a test mini/bit of sprue. Do this until you are happy with the consistency. Also, remember not to load the brush up too much. A full brush of paint is just going to let the paint go everywhere. Less is more. Do a number of layers until it looks smooth.

White is tricky. The easy method at the moment is to use astronomican grey as a base coat. A few layers os this thinned will give you a nice basecoat. Now, water down some codex grey - make it quite thin and apply it to all of the grey section - including the recesses. This will shade it. Reapply the astromonicon grey to the areas that aren't shadow. Then apply a few layers of skull white - do this until the colour is solid. This is a decent guide: Biel Tan Eldar

The choice of undercoat depends. But usually, if you're doing a light miniature, then undercoating in white the better option.

Kuffy
    Kuffy thanks for the wonderful and quick response

I've been leaning towards the white for the same reason. The others seem kind of...dirty to me lol.

I will use this first squad of fire warriors as testers I think. Learn how to do it. I've got a WiP thread, but I'll make a new one for the whole Tale of Painters thing and let the old one die.

Quote Originally Posted by schnookems View Post
    OKAY - I'm no pro, but I think I can try and answer some of your questions.

First - painting white. I posted a quick reply to my own tale of painters project thread about how I paint white here ([ToP] schnookems' Eldar Alaitoc Craftworld Army). It isn't easy and it takes patience, but white is very nice and goes well with almost every colour scheme.
    If you don't know how to water down your paints properly though, I do not suggest painting your army like the third screenshot you took.

Second - yellow is the same as white - it requires a foundation paint before layer upon layer (in my opinion), but it takes a long time to get a flat colour. So your first colour scheme, even with that little bit of yellow, might be found tough.

I personally like the second screenshot colour scheme you did, to be honest. The black with minimal red and orange would look nice and allows a lot of flexibility in doing other models like vehicles and such.

Painting armour requires, like everything else, practice. There are heaps of tutorials online about how to build up colours, doing washes and perfecting highlights, so my suggestion would be - do a google search! But it basicallt comes down to watering down your paints enough, but not too much. Terrible, I know... but it, again, takes practice.

Sorry if I haven't been much help, but I hope it gives you something to think about!
    Help is help mate and much appreciated.

I figured the whole white thing isn't a great idea with my poor watering down skill, but ultimately, I'm going to have to learn to paint properly one day or another. I've got 6500 points of unpainted armies. I've got plenty of time to practise.

Another question for you both;

Should I be paintin the cloth first or the armour first?

Also, + rep for both of yous

Glavas out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I happen to also like that third color scheme that you have up there. I'd been thinking of doing something similar, but since i started a different army, thats primeraly white, i decided to try and stay away from repeating myself. As for the process of armor or cloth first, When im painting my tau, I tend to paint up the lower cloth first. Generally i find that its very helpfull to paint a mini from the 'bottom up', starting with the deepest parts, and working my way up to the highest layer. I find, that even if you dont have the best brush controll, if youve gotten the lower layers allready painted, and you work lightly on the higher layers, that even if your brush slips, it wont do as much damage as it could the other way around.
    Oh.. but i dont look so good with all those.. tentaclly things..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

one of the second two... probably the third one. i paint white in barely watered down thin shades

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

IM A PRO!!!! well maybe not...

I start with a white spray, then paint the cloths, and then fix up the white with some white, after that I do as kuffys ling say. Or you can try to use a grey wash, or water it out a bit more so you have a glaze. The trick when you are applying this thin paint for shading is to dry of the brush on a paper before applying it on the minni, then you have control and the paint will not be smeared out al over.
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

+ Reply to Thread