Tau paint schemes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau paint schemes

hi , i am gunna start collecting the Tau empire for my 40k army , however i HATE the orange style paint scheme (also white and black) could u guys recommend any cool looking paint schemes.

thx

kiwicube

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Pink and yellow with blue polka dots

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Khaki-colored armor on a drab olive basecoast is simple enough to paint and can be easily modified and 'accented' with other colors. It worked for my Tau, back in the day.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My night fighting squad.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Ouch, that kinda hurts as I have a vibrant orange tau army on the way. Other than that, Red/Black is popular and does work, also Blue with orange details. I have seen a green army that does work with red details and red fatigues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

maroon with gray cloth, and black armor highlights would look cool.

my tau had hunter green armor and grey cloth with yellow sept markings

Floating around space finding and converting small planets into biomatter for the fleet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Tau seem to look best when there's a good contrast between the armour and cloth, so that would be a good thing to keep in mind when deciding upon a colour scheme. Don't overcomplexify (not that that's a word) your scheme either, keep it to a small selection of colours, preferrably around 3 or 4 at most except for extremities like Ethereals etc. where adding another colour can really help them stand out amongst the rest of the troops. I'd advise you stick to two main contrasting colours for the main scheme tends to work best, with the third and fourth colours saved for things like sept markings, markerlights etc.

Remember you can work out whether a scheme would look good without actually painting anything, just compare a couple of paints together and see how they look next to each other. Simply by doing this you should be able to tell if the contrast is effective and imagine what it would look like on your models. After a few comparisons you'll come across a combination that'll just look right. When that happens, there's a good chance that it'll look as great on the models as it did in your mind.

Remember also if you intend to use Kroot or Vespid in your army that you make them varied enough to look different to the Tau but keep some ties between the schemes to really make them look as if they should be part of your army. Combining one of the main colours in your scheme with one of the supplementary colours is often an effective way of ensuring the balance between similarity and difference. Play around and see what meets your fancy and good luck with the army .

Main Armies: The Septem Edo Hivefleets || Da Mekanikus of Mek Skagnatz || Clan Skrawlskir of the White Rat || The Eternal Legion of Chlorr

In the arms of a small mountain in California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

personally i like a more muted-ish color scheme but then again my sept color is golden yellow haha. mine is regal blue/ultramarines blue armor with codex cloth, i was going for a dark scheme with a more city fight theme; thogh its tau so it ant be all stealthy so bam bright yellow.

though i have had coments that my models dont pop enough with a dark grey base but its more what i wanted so enough ranting about my stuff.

so pick a sort of theme you want then look for colors that would go along those lines, try to go for a contrasting splash of color for your sept. also contrast between the color of armor and cloth is usualy a good idea.

im drawing blanks on some example colors but some may come later, hope i helped a bit good luck buddy.

-Bcom
    -Bcom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ Reply to Thread