My modular board - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My modular board

Couldn't bring myself to shel the cash for the Realm of Battle board, so i made my own. 6 2x2 sections (soon to be . 1/4" MDF with 1/2" high density foam layered on top. So far, it's been a lot of fun.

Here's my friend's avatar camping on the doors to the underground...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great! How much was the cost of making thos board?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MDF and HD polystyrene came out to around $60. The other supplies were:
    - matte brown paint
    - textured paint
    - elmer's glue
    - two types of static grass
    - miniwax (for the river gloss)

Glad you like it

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Nice! I've got one of the RoB game boards, but I still think I need to make some more tiles for larger games as GW don't seem to be in a hurry to make more... how long did this take you? I do like the door in the hill
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most time was spent scratching my head and thinking "what next?" Also, drying time while gluing the polystyrene to the MDF was substantial.

Most major hardware stores will cut mdf to spec for you, promising a clean 90 degree cut. I then sandwiched the polystyrene between two mdf boards and used a hot wire cutter to make everything flush. Best part, i can add pieces (or have friends build pieces) at my liesure.

Total time: about 5 hours, excluding drying time, which was substantial. Planning is key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you use to cover the polystyrene? I have just made a couple of pieces out of some foam insulation, but need to cover it with something to get a smoother finish.

Then I am going to build a modular table as you have done. What have you used to stop the sections moving when you play on the board?

Cheers,
    Rupert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Rupert,

I covered the polystyrene with "fine textured paint" which was pretty cheap at a home depot. I then painted it with matt brown paint and flocked it up from there.

The weight of the mdf board is enough to keep the sections in place with minimal slippage. Glad you like.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

That's a good looking board. Too bad the river can only logically run Long-Long. Otherwise, great job on it. I've been thinking of making one myself, but can't bring myself to pay for it when none of my friends have been playing as of late.

I think I would try to make mine store flat, with a separate bin of terrain off to the side. I'd sculpt down stuff like your river, or roads and other "negative" features. The boards would stay relatively flat, so I could stack them evenly without worrying too much about damage.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hills i like to model right onto the board, but forests are another matter. Here's a finished one and a wip...

The trees go into tiny holes on the mdf, so they can be moved for tanks that roll through, but still are replaced in the same spot (to avoid accidentally putting the trees in different places for purposes of cover).

+ Reply to Thread