Newbie needing some paint help for 'nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1 (x1)

Newbie needing some paint help for 'nids

Hi all -

So I decided to start playing again after about 10 years and decided to go Tyranids since they weren't really a choice when I started. I like the way they play a lot, but I'm having a bit of trouble with painting them. *grr*

I want to make an army that I'm proud of on the table. I've gotten a few tips from some people, but I need to work on things. I attached a picture of my first gaunt with a general idea of the scheme I want to use.

First off, I know I need to use thinner paint. I neeeed to water down the Vallejo paints a bit when applying them. The gun will probably end up staying the same color as the skin because I don't like the odd contrast. So I'm going to go black to pink on the shell/armor/carapace/whatever you call it. For the skin, I wanted to do a green of some sorts, but I'm not sure if I like a darker green, lighter green, blue green, or olive green best. Any input here would be welcome and appreciated!

Also, the process I want to use is to base coat the skin, ink, reapply base, highlight highlight highlight until the model looks better. My issue is that I can't, a) find a good base coat without knowing exactly what color I want to use for the skin and b) find a good, dark ink to apply. Citadel green doesn't do it justice.

Can anyone give some general tips? I'm also going to be whitening the teeth a bit to bring them out, this was just me getting lazy and wanting to finish and get some pics for criticism.

Ugh, and I also need brush recomendations. The one's I'm using are not too great. It sucks because one is a $12 P3 brush that pretty much sucks and spreads when I'm painting. The brush I bought from Michael's for like $3 works better. I'd like to get some nice detail brushes. I already have brush cleaner and restorer (which doesn't seem to help my P3 brush at all).

*phew* Sorry for the long and wordy post. I really look forward to everyone's help! Hopefully I'll have something worth showing in a few days after getting some feedback. Thanks again!

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

113 (x2)

Something that I noticed was that the skin lookeed almost iridescent in the small thumbnail picture. It looked as if it had been highlighted in a similar fashoin as the carapace. A rather neat effect. If you want to replicate that on the real model, I'd start with a dark green, dark angels say, and highlight it to skull white or bleached bone. (don't know vallejo equivalents, sorry) Would look good on the tabletop at least, I think.

For a darker wash, just mix in some black or dark brown.

For the brushes, GW's brushes are quite good and (strangely!) not very overpriced.

Hope I helped a little bit.

+ Reply to Thread