My First Scenery - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Scenery

Morning All.

I made the slight mistake of mocking my friends poor attempt of a house last time i played a game and sumhow in a show of manlyness eneded up saying id make a peice of scenery so eyemeltyingly ( <--- thats so a word) good that it would make the angels weep and add sum much needed sexyness to are games of warhammer,

Only 1 slight prob... ive never made any scenery before :]

I was thinking of trying sumthing abit run down and with diff textures,

thinking a mot n bailey dwarf style keep ,central tower , wooden fence slightly mangled ( if any of you'ver played any of the total war games any uve done over any the small wood fenceswhen they go all bendy n broke that look)

Any tips or advice id love thanks .

also any toolsd, i allready lovere the plaster idea turning it into rubble , , how do u make stakewalls ne 1?

Da

Marmite

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marmite View Post
    Morning All.

Morning

I made the slight mistake of mocking my friends poor attempt of a house last time i played a game and sumhow in a show of manlyness eneded up saying id make a peice of scenery so eyemeltyingly ( <--- thats so a word) good that it would make the angels weep and add sum much needed sexyness to are games of warhammer,

Uh oh.

Only 1 slight prob... ive never made any scenery before :]

Bigger uh oh.

I was thinking of trying sumthing abit run down and with diff textures,

Sounds good

thinking a mot n bailey dwarf style keep You're gonna want a pretty biig terrain peice then, is this to be used as an area of impassable terrain, a buiding or a building with surround. Remember that if its the latter you'll need space to get a unit in inside the outer wall. ,central tower You could look at Gw's watchtower for a base for this., wooden fence slightly mangled cheap pencils. Can be sharpened or left blunt (or made blunt). You can also wedge them into a foam base easily. ( if any of you'ver played any of the total war games any uve done over any the small wood fenceswhen they go all bendy n broke that look)

Any tips or advice id love thanks .

also any toolsd, i allready lovere the plaster idea turning it into rubble , , how do u make stakewalls ne 1?

Da

Marmite
    To start with you will probably want a hardboard base, a hardware store like homebase or B&Q (in the UK) will likely have some offcuts you can pick up cheaply. You'll probably then want some sort of ground builder to create a hill, high density polystyrene works well (not the white "ball" based stuff, its too crumbly). You can then build on from that.

Hope I've helped.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:d

I know the story ish is that in some areas dwarfs are retaking land from orcs and moving back into the old keeps and forts. And i kinda feel sorry for the stuntys that theres neva any scenary thats not ether in perfect condition or a wreck

owwww i was thinking the kinda thing of hmm you know those cyrcle liquish allsorts with the strange coconut around, that kinda design ,

outa wall ,A Wide ring of debris , rocks , smashed canons etc, and then a central fort kinda intact,

After playing a fair amount of strat games attacking keeps etc , i usualy kill the wall in 1 or 2 places , gateway .Any any near by turrets , then smash the inner door and storm the walls , that way u keep the prize intact :] so im guessing thats what u do in real life ish

so thats the kinda damage im looking my fort to have taken ...

Going along with that idea , when you move back to that keep you'd prob need to rebuild the inner fort first (as it would give u the max defence quickest)_ so gona go for a patched up look for Inner keep maybe sum scafolding materials like stone fresh timber , u'd prob patch up any outa wall with timber spikes and a fresh timber wall if poss, inbetween piling rubble u dont need to try and help any inner defence also to retreve ne goodys left,

That way large open spaces for troops in the main area, dont really need to worry about space on outer walL as it'll be basicly a fence with gaPs . n just a standerd tower in middle

What u think?

Marmite :]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Sounds pretty cool. Just make sure there's enough space in between the wall and the keep for a unit or 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:]

Cheers man , :] You made much scenery b4?

Anything Xciting planned for the weekend? Its going to be suuny! Woo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

321 (x8)

A little. I only recently got into the whole scenery making lark so I'm still learning too, but I know a lot of the theory. I'm also aware of what scenery n00bs are capable of, kinda being one myself!
    My most recent project
    My first bash at scenery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whey nearly finshed my research and intial designs ( i'll post a couple here start next week) Just a quick question how hard is snow to do and to look good ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok ive finished getting ideas n made a hell o scrap book of material :]

I havnt had much time for designs but ive come up with 2 main plans, The longer i researched the more i relasied just how large my inital thoughts would be , id be signing away a huge chucnk of board for this scenary and it just wasnt practical , so ive had a play , Im gona go for hight cant go wrong with towering cliff faces!

Im down to do i want a ruined or an intact dwarf base,apologises for the rubbish sketch i just couldnt be botherd trying to hard today :] which do u lot rekon would be better?

idea2.jpg picture by pritstick - Photobucket"
    ideas.jpg picture by pritstick - Photobucket"
    ideas3.jpg picture by pritstick - Photobucket

Tyr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id vote for ruined. Why? Because.
    Just kidding, Id go for ruins simply for the reason that a) theres less to build (putting 3 walls together and calling it done is much easier than having to figure out how to do the roof, shindles, etc) and b) less to detail. You can always say its an OLD ruin, with the stonework weathered by centuries of neglect.
    In addition, a ruined fortress is much cooler, seeing as theres endless possibilities of small diorama-esque details, like a skeleton, clutching a book and nailed to the wall by arrows, Ork graffitti, goblin totems, a skaven tail disappearing in a hole, a smal dwarf camp, rusty weapons, etc. As I said, the possiilities are endless! Then again, you dont NEED to add those details, it would look just (okay, not really, but almost) as cool without them.
    Now think of the stuff youd have to add to an intact dwarf base: Its mainly details on the walls, shindles, stuff like that. And that kind of stuff tends to be fiddly...

Of course, in the end its up to you, but Id love to see that ruined dwarf outpost

Oh, and really nice sketches!
    "Better to crush an ant with a boulder, than flick lazily at it, possibly miss, and then have it bite you in the ass." The Awakened One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some of my sprab book in case ne1's intereseted :] Apologises for the water mark, its the strange PDF converter i downloaded :]

Le book pictures by pritstick - Photobucket

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast