Librarium Online Forums banner

Black Templar

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  King Ulrik Flamebeard 
#1 ·
I realised that this guy hasn't had much attention. I think people are afraid of my stupidly long thread... But fear it not!

Anyway, this guy was painted for the current LO contest "Defiance". Let me know what you think. Overall I am rather happy with him.

And here, we have a montage.

Kuffy

See less See more
#3 ·
The sword was done as a practice for blending. I decided to use turquoise for it. I started with a mix of black and turquoise and the slowly added more turquoise before then adding white to lighten it. It goes from dark at the hilt to light towards the tip. I then glazed/washed it with turquoise to try and tie the layers together better.

Kuffy

#4 ·
Like usual, very nice! I especially liked the chains...

In picture two on the back pack there is a little bit of metal colour. Is this done on purpose?

The sword is quite nice, (picking on detail here) you can see a sort of distinctive line between the medium blue and light blue (around the middle of the sword) in picture 1. I like the back side of the sword (pic 2) but I think that the front side stays dark for too long then goes to light colours in a short space. Maybe its just me though...

I like it! But there is a lack of beard in it...

;)

#5 ·
The metal was a crappy attempt at battle damage. Didn't turn out too well, but is OK. The sword I agree with, I am still trying to get blending right and too often I go too quickly from one shade to the next, showing a distinct layer and difference. Something I am hoping to work on.

Kuffy

#8 · (Edited)
Very nice templar you've got there, but I can't help but noticing the lack of handle on the bolter :p

I think the design on the banner is a little, I don't know, fat for me. It should be more pointy, if you know what I mean

:D

Edit: Just realised thet the handle IS in fact there, just very hard to see :laugh:

#9 ·
The handle is indeed there. ;) But I didn't realise at the time how hard to see it, it would be. Oops. The banner is not amazing, granted. The cross I was not entirely happy with, it is too fat at the points sometimes. Not good. =/ But, for my freehand, I did well.

Thanks for the comments. =)

Kuffy

#10 ·
Once again, great stuff...only thing here is the sword...I know it's a practice of blending, but it just seems a little bland. Maybe you could paint in some streaks of "energy" on the sword or something. At least paint the little energy pole (coming out of the hilt onto the blade...idk what its called) to make it stand out from the blade. Anyways, in addition to that, the banner is fantasic save for the templar cross. Either make that smaller or do some freehand within it.

Hope to see more, and good luck on the competition (did it already end?)!

#11 ·
Nice model. I like how you handled the black. Black is a deceptively hard color to get right. Everything else is quite nice as well. My one niggling complaint is that the model is very dark overall which is fine, he is a black templar after all. Then there is this large bright (in comparison) plate on the base. For me at least this tends to be my focal point when I look at the model. Perhaps make the green in his eyes more vibrant to draw focus to the head? Anyways, its just a small complaint on an overall fantastic model. I had a hard time choosing between you, the last entree and the grot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.