Helping Dael's Painting Thread (Rep!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Helping Dael's Painting Thread (Rep!)

I believe this is my first post in the painting section that's not "Great job with X model, and using Y colors really brings out the Z."

To the point. I'm going after an ambitious 8 warbands projects for Warhammer. Normally I don't care as much about my painting so long as there aren't visible errors, colors match well enough, and the wash I use shades it appropriately. However, the purpose behind these warbands will be to play with people who don't have Warhammer armies of their own, and as this project will involve the most conversion I've ever done, I want the paint job to be extra good (though not as good as most the people who post here).

So, this thread is where I'll be repeatedly asking for help, usually in what colors to pick out. So... without further ado...

The first warband I'm probably looking to start is Ogre Kingdoms. I've put a few bids on e-bay (which I'll most likely lose), but we'll see. Of all the Ogre models I've seen, I think the skin tone I like the best is sort of a chestnut color, brown with a hint of red. What paint would fit this best? I have no issues of using non-GW paints.

Considering the main color will be chestnut borwn of a few different shades, what other colors can compliment it? I'm thinking of silver for the weapons.spikes. and armors they'll be covered in, as gold doesn't really fit it, and I think brass or tin will blend in too much, but if I'm wrong feel free to correct me. Also, I'm thinking of using grots from the 40k range to represent a small group of gnoblars that will make up some extra poitns leftover. Any skintone suggestions that would be different from the ogres, yet still match somewhat?

Thanks in advance, and more questions will be coming.

I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I used scorched brown mixed with dwarf flesh for the base coat for my ogres and lightened them from there. There are pics floating around somwhere (my avatar is one small example). As for contrasting colour I like blues, mostly because they're easy but also because blue can give the skin a quite natural colour (don't as me why). The trousers give you a lot of space to do some fancy freehand stuff, even if it's as simple as giving them striped pants.

The metals are pretty sweet- I like dark base colours (tin bitz/boltgun) then a couple of washes to tarnish and age the metal and a final scraping of chainmail over the edges and sharp bits to make them look polished and worn.

Hope this helps!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Thanks for the fast reply! The ogre in your avatar looks great too. I wonder though, if I want to go a shade darker, get that sunburned, leather-skin look, would I just add a little dark red into the mix?

I did manage to win one thing on ebay last night, twelve deamonettes from the last edition (of course I had to bid with one sec left becase at least two people thought it clever trying to outbid what I had hours before the last two minutes. Managed to bring the price up another twelves US dollars to about what it cost before it went OOP. (Grumble, mumble).

Anyways, though I don't have a list completely panned out yet, perhaps my most ambitious warband in regards to painting is wood elves, the project I've dubbed "Sunshine". Basically summer themed with little to no green at all, focusing on yellows, more yellows, whites, stuff like that. However, I'm looking for more natural yellows, not the neon stuff that GW produces.

(Daemonettes will be converted in dryads. Not the I don't like the dryad models, but I've always been interested in making 'beautiful' instead of 'scray branches' dryads.)
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

+ Reply to Thread