Need tips on painting SW GC badges. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Need tips on painting SW GC badges.

Good evening,

I would like tips on painting the badges for the Great Wolf companies.

They can really get detailed, and Grimanr's seems to be the most.

Any tips on how to paint them?

I know of the SW transfer sheet, but it's mostly black&white.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Different company shoulder pads really make the army stand out, not every wolf is a member of Ragnars mob.

There are some metal pads available from GW in the bitz section.

Otherwise, there is a tutorial HERE that describes a method to transfer a 'guide' on to the model, this may be a little fiddly.

HERE is a guide tp making press moulds for shoulder pads etc. Its very easy and rather effective, Ive made a few different things this way and a friend has done his relictor skull shouder pads this way too.

If you end up going the free hand direction I would suggest a very striaght and pointed brush and lots of paitence.

Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Freehand isn't so difficult really...
    Just takes a bit of practice.

What I'd always suggest for it is drawing it out with a pencil at the actual scale, then working out how you can break the freehand into simple shapes.
    Squares, triangles and circles can all be put together to make something pretty complex, when you know you can build it out of simple pieces it's a lot easier!

The next thing to do is to practice it a few times with thin paint and a decent brush. For very fine freehand I use my size 0.
    Personally, any smaller than that I find almost completely unusable... The brush just doesn't hold enough paint to let you make decent sized strokes, or more than one stroke at a time. For me, this is very frustrating.

However, practice makes perfect, and I know some painters (one in particular) who almost never go bigger than a double 0...
    So try out things and find what is good for you.

Once you've got the shapes down, and have tried it a few times, you should be ready to try on a shoulder pad.
    Once you're there, just make sure to make it as perfect as you can, and don't be afraid to go back and re-paint any bits you need to.

Best of luck!

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Thanks for the tips.

Rep all around!

+ Reply to Thread