Simple Ork Paint Scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Simple Ork Paint Scheme

Hi I was wondering if anyone had a nice, basic color scheme for Orks. I was thinking of doing rust armor with green skin but that probably wouldn't look that great on all the models.

The only thing I'm married to is green skin and dipping them for the finished product. Something easy would be good, I really don't like to paint but it's my major hurdle to get tournament legal.

I'am partial to Lootas so I was thinking of incorporating some blue in there somewhere but that's it for my ideas. Come forth painting geniuses and assist the lowly player!

Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x2)

Basecoat with Dark Angels Green and then a heavy drybrush with Goblin Green. Very fast and looks pretty good when looking at an army in whole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I could probably have figured that out, I was looking for something to do with the tunics, guns etc. mostly. I should have made that clear.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love blue! But I tried ultramarines blue and it failed pretty hard so I would go a deeper one and then give it a wash of blue ink to make it nice and shiny...
    Move forward and stay quiet brothers.

Check out my half finished blog here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

well i'm working on a fantasy orc army at the moment and i wanted them to draw attention, look good, and still be fast to paint. i noticed that washing makes anything that is not a flat piece of armour look awesome when using the right colour. (and even armour looks good with devlan mud or black wash)

now the key to both washing and dipping is painting very bright colours and washing over them right?

i tested a few different orcs with different colours to see how they look in the end and here's some conclusions:

-skin tones: can be about any kind of green depending on how dark or bright you want your orcs to look. i use scorpion green myself as a coat for all the skin ( i basecoat them white wich makes painting alot faster) with 2 washes of thakagreen this looks great, it will have a natural highlight it seems because the contrast is so high between the muscles and the gaps between them. for darking orcs (bosses or nobs) just apply another wash ( maybe 2?) but the base colour just needs some trying out to see what you like.

-armour: just a basic coat of botgun metal with a devlan mud or black wash and a slight mitrill silver hightlight makes metal look rusted but used, works great and is easy to do.

-clothing: i decided to make my army very very colourfull and thus every orc goblin en snot is wearing bright clothing ( all purple in my case) just pick a nice colour that does not take several layers to fully cover ( white undercoat makes this easier in most cases) and wash it with the appropriate wash, you will see that every piece of clothing has alot of depth and detail without having to drybrush everything.
    some colours that i tried:

red: start with blood red and wash, very nice colour, great contrast, the more washes the darker it gets.

blue: had alot of trouble making this look good this way, even with enchanted blue and a wash or 2 the contrast was not high enough to show the details. but enchanted blue was the birghtest blue i tried so you might wanna see if you can get anything brighter.

purple: starting with warlock purple and 1 wash of leviathan makes it looks great and easy to do, nice contrast with the light green skins i use so this i the colour i went for. (makes night goblins look cool too )

yellow: horrible colour the cover a model with so i do not recommend to do this, even with the yellow foundation underneat. works good for armour and metal though: when you want yellow armour plates on bosses and such, just make it white, 2 coats of yellow and then wash only the details (bolts and rivets and such) after that just paint a few stripes of metal here and there to make it look like chipped of paint and voila! ( i use this and it looks good and is easy to do)

but when thinking of army colours, try figuring out 3 colours : skin colour, clothing colour, and the "special" colour (for banners, icons and boss armour plates ) because these 3 makes the most of your ork army (metal will look like metal anyway)

my army's colours are a bright green, purple and yellow, offcourse this does not include details like leather straps ( vermin brown with 2-4 devlan mud washes always looks good) or the eyes (a dot of red with a red wash dot to make the eye sockets look darker).

a few tips when washing an army though:
    -don't do one model at a time, you will just be waiting for the washes to dry. i do 8 orcs at a time ( 10 goblins because they are smaller and paint faster) and sometimes even bosses in between
    -when 2 washes come together then create a thin dark (nearly black) line making the different colours look like the where blacklined and making the contrast even greater. (so in my case i first paint the clothing purple and wash it, then i paint the skin and wash it, now the washes collide at the places where the green and purple and near each other thus making a thing line between them.)
    -if i remember more i'll put them on later

i wish i had some pics of my orcs to show that i'm not just talking rubbish here, but i think i can make some this week and i'll put them on for you to see and judge if you like the effect.

that's all for now though...i hope it will be of any hope.

vid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Yes that was very helpful thank you. I like the muddy metal theme for the armor. I think I'll do a blue shoulder pad or kneepad as a slight detail to show their luck. :]

+ Reply to Thread