Noob in need of advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Noob in need of advice.

Hey guys,

I have never used green stuff before, so I just had a few questions.

A) How difficult would it be to make a helmet similar to Marneus Calgar's Honour guard "eagleface" ones? Using a normal SM helmet and sculpting on that.

Could noob do it?

C) Could I then make a mould and create many for myself, or would I have to make each one individually because of the fine detail?

Many thanks all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Similar to or the same as ? If its the same as it would be tricky if its along the same lines then it could be as easy as you want.

Copying that would hard for a noob, I been sculpting for a while and sculpting that would still be hard.

If you got go a good sculpt and had all the flash rtv silicons you could make a mould and loose no details. I dont have all that stuff so if I was to do it it would be a GS mould which gets pretty good detail.

I would start this by breaking it into 3 parts, each side and the 'nose' getting the shape right on a piece of paper for one side and the nose then mirroring the side piece to get them the same. I would work on a clear piece of plastic like a cd case over the template. After sculpting the pieces I would make my mould with the pieces stuck to the plastic. Once you got a push mold of them your away, just assemble the pieces on a head and wack it on a model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Awesome, thanks man. Really appreciate that.

If you or someone else doesn't mind, could I ask a similar question about making helmets with laurels on them? (the rings of grass) Or does anyone know where I can buy them?

And also the champion who has a shield shape on his chest, would that be easy to do on top of a normal chest or difficult as well?

Gracias!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    572 (x8)

your laurels and shiled should be much easier.

My tip would be to mix your GS with more blue than yellow - this makes it set quicker, and makes it less sticky.

Then, cover a plastic sheet, box, or something like that, Kitchen film works well if you stretch it, with either water, or even better vaselene, to stop the GS from sticking to the surface.

Then press the GS into the surface, carefully lift it up, to avoid getting fingerprints on it, and you should find the side you just pressed on to the surface is smooth.

Leave it about an hour, then come back to it and it should have hardened a great deal, but it shouldn't be set.

Using a small knife, or a bladed sculpting tool, carefully cut out the shape you want.

With laurels, you would just cut them out carefully, then bend them and superglue them to the helmet. Similar thing to the shield.

Hope I helped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, laurels come with SM command squad. They are a separate plastic bitz that can be glued to a helm.

Maybe you can ask around if any SM players you know in real life could give you some. Once you have at least one, it may be easier for you to make a mould of a separate and pretty flat bit of plastic then to do it for the whole helm.

Or, maybe, you'll be lucky to get enough of them
    "...But the rest of the cows and market analysts call them mad. Well, twenty-three zillion bacteria said the same thing a hundred million years ago. And guess where they are today? They're still bacteria!" (c)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree somewhat with Sir Spamalot, in that a softer GS mix (1 part blue, 2 parts yellow) make for a better one or two part push mould. While it is stickier and takes longer to dry, it has a much better detail holding quality which I feel more than makes up for its downsides.

If you already have a copy of one of Calgar's Honour guard, you could just go with a push mould of his helmet, rather than trying to sculpt one yourself and then mould it anyway. Using the 1B/2Y mix above, make sure you have a piece of GS about twice the size of the Honour Guard's head, roll it in to a ball, then flatten it very slightly on to a flat piece of plastic until it sticks there. Next, get some vaseline and apply a very thin, smooth layer to both the GS and the part you want to mould, and then press the model part in to the GS, paying attention to where the model's mould lines are (they're there for a reason!). Then leave it there until the GS is completely dried. If you are making a two part mould, just leave the model where it is, and basically repeat the above sets for the back of the mould. If it's only a one part mould, you can now remove the model from the hardened GS - voila, one shiny new push mould! All you need to do is take a blob of GS in the same mix as before, vasaline it all over, push it firmly in to the mould and leave it to harden fully before demoulding it.

Hope that helps!

Mal'
    Kompletely Kroot - "Needlessly swapping Cs for Ks whenever we feel like it!"

+ Reply to Thread