Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Space Marine Thunderfire Cannon
This is a build review and is completely independent and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop.
The Cannon consists of twenty-one metal components, the Tech Marine consists of ten metal components.
First look in the box: I have been looking forward to building one of these ever since I saw the CAD drawing of it. The parts are well moulded and very clean . I’m looking forward to a straight-forward build.
The Tech Marine: I’m not going to go in depth with this as it is just like all the other newer Tech Marines. The fit is good and the model looks very nice.
The Thunderfire Cannon: The pieces are very symmetrical to the eye, something that I haven’t seen in an all metal model before. CAD work to make models is going to make kits like this easier to build I hope (fingers crossed).
The carriage: This is a very snug fit, in-fact when I did the test fit it got pretty much stuck in there so I glued it in place. The stabilising feet go on next, they just drop into place nice and easy. Last of all is the targeting screen at the back and once again no problems there.
The Cannon: Ok so now for the big gun (I LOVE BIG GUNS). I start with the gun its self and push the two pieces together for a test fit before applying the glue.
To fix the gap problem, I gripped one end of the cannon in a wood-working vice and used pair of pliers with to pieces of wood, as not to damage the metal.
The gap closed up quite well.
The next step was to install the shell holder in the breach. I go to test fit to find that it is grossly larger them the hole that it needs to fit in. The piece its self is 13.5mm and you are expected to fit it in a hole just under 12mm big. Sigh, out comes the dremel. Also forgot to mention that the instructions show this piece going in 180o off set from the way in needs to go in.
I move on to the turn table/gun mount. After test fitting the pieces the two little lumps seem to been a little to big and they prevent the upright supports for the gun butting right up with the centre piece of the turn table. I removed about 1mm from each of the lumps to get the piece to fit nicely.
Muzzle, dampers and targeter: After gap filling on the barrel I fitted and glued the muzzle. Next I installed the four recoil dampers on the barrel and the larger one underneath, I ended up cutting the tabs off of the larger one as the tabs would not comfortably fit into the locating holes. The targeter was just glued on top without any problems.
Gun shields: I have blue-taced these on for the purpose of the photos and they fit well, but I would recommend leaving them off for painting purposes.
Summary: With the exception of the joining of the two halves of the cannon barrel and the fitting of the shell carrier into the breach at the back, this build was quite straightforward and enjoyable. The cannon looks very sharp with good detail and definitely has a nice weight on the table.
I would recommend at-least some intermediate modelling skills before attempting this kit.