Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So I read everything about simple green and I realised none of my stores near me carry it. So I used some watered down bleach spray (CVS brand) and some Ajax. It has worked well. I hope it doesn't melt the plastic. If anyone has any warnings about this please tell me!!!
Alright I need replies soon because I took out the Ajax because apparently bleach and Ajax are toxic together.... So now I have just watered down bleach. Is this toxic? Can it kill me? I would like to know soon.
the bleach is a whitener and a disinfectant... it isn't a stripper. The ajax is an abrasive so it will do more for stripping than the bleach...
As for toxicity, you can safely drink one cap full of bleach to every gallon of water it is used to purify... This does not mean start downing a cap full at a time so you can chug water later..
Bleach will not melt plastic, and neither will ajax.. the problem arises from the two mixing and creating a toxic byproduct fume... Same happens with bleach and ammonia... only that is worse.
Always be careful mixing chems... and water is safe with most cleaning chems out there... just don't toss magnesium into the water.
the best strippers are non-toxic
i wouldn't bother with things such as bleach and ajax, you've got to be careful
Generally, Bleach contains some chlorine in it, and you could get HCl fumes, or as stated Ammonia fumes - neother of which is particulalry NICE. I would avoid mixing any abrasive or active cleaning agents together just in case you get a nice combination to burn out your nasal membranes (I manged to do this partially with ammonia fumes at school..)
Join the LO army system! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=910
Deadstar I am glad I made you laugh. So the bleach is actually taking off most of the paint. I let it sit overnight and i've taken off about 4 layers of paint (out of 6). And I am glad to know that I won't die form doing this (unless I mix in ajax.....)
For future reference, if you don't know what will happen, DO NOT mix it until you ask someone you know is knowledgeable about such things.
Also, as much as I love the LO community, I do NOT recommend you acting solely on advice you get here, as many (most?) of us are not chemistry experts (I know I'm not).
Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but the wrong mixture and you literally take your life in your hands. If you create an airborne cloud of toxic chemicals, you also risk the lives of your family, pets, and, if you live in an apartment, perfect strangers. In short, don't screw around with this stuff. PLEASE be careful. We want you to still be around to show us the results of your experiments!