Air Brush / Spray Gun - Which to buy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Brush / Spray Gun - Which to buy?

I have found painting tanks to be very difficult! For example, my Rhino appears blotchy instead of even and smoothly painted. (I have spent several hours applying several thin coats of paint and it is still way below my desired standard)

I have decided that maybe an airbrush is what I need and I am unsure on the quality of the instore GamesWorkshop model?

I am basically looking for advice on which models are good buy's and what the options are for your money? As for a budget, I am unsure how much these things cost, I think I wouldn't want to be spending much more than £200-£250 max, but am obviously happy to spend less!

I also live in the UK if this makes a difference to what is available.

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be appreciate.

P.s. I have tried to search these forum for a relevant thread, but was unable to find one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

The GW one is a single-action Badger airbrush.

I would recommend you get a double-action airbrush- you control the flow of paint, unlike a single-action which is basically like a spray can.

Also, and this is more important: Get a compressor. It'll be much cheaper than canned air in the long run, you get more even airflow, and you won't be afraid to experiment for fear of wasting air.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

pat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x2)

I agree with catbarf. I have two Iwata airbrushes and use it on all my tanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so it's not so much which make's/model's to buy - so long as I purchase a double action spray gun and a compressor of some kind, is there at least a certain size of compressor I should be looking to purchase?

When spraying the tank do you cover the whole model in the choosen undercoat (and a second coat as well?) and then paint the black parts, such as the tracks with chaos black or is it better/required to cover these areas with tape or other masking material first?

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

The model does matter, but stick to a brand name like Badger or Iwata and you'll get your money's worth- in other words, there is obvious variance in quality, but you'll get what you pay for.

For the compressor, make sure it has variable pressure. I use 20-40 PSI, depending on the task. Another thing to go for is a compressor with a tank. I have a tankless compressor, it was very cheap and it does the job, but it pulses a dozen or so times per second- not terribly noticeable, but I imagine it could be an issue with very fine precision work.

For masking it depends on how much you need to repaint. If it's just a detail here and there, I'd not bother masking it. If it's a quartered color scheme, I would mask. The beauty of an airbrush is that you don't need a lot of masking, just lay down a strip of tape and as long as you hold the airbrush close to the model you won't get it where it doesn't belong.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

+ Reply to Thread