Librarium Online Forums banner

Tim Burton Themed Ogres

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Leech 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure the title is attracting a lot of you, but I'm afraid I have no Pictures. Rather, I'm looking for ideas.

After talking to The paint monkey(all credit to him for giving me the idea), about possible themes for my upcoming ogre army, and I told him, in a few words the stuff I liked, he suggested Tim Burton, and it just kinda clicked :)

So as far as ideas go for the modelling side of it, I'm a little stuck on. And by stuck on, I mean, I have NO ideas.

On the painting side however, I have some.

Pale skin
Black and white striped pants
Swirly/curly tatoos
black hair.
and by making the blood really stand out by having a more or less grey scale but with bright red blood(like Sweeney Todd) It should get a few second looks.

So I suppose the main thing I'm asking is, Is this idea any good? And can anyone please help me on the modelling side of things?

Ps. Edward ScissorHands Tyrand anyone? :cute::clap:

Thanks in advance for any help, and rep for those that do :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I was thinking about this more since we talked. I thought you might try an almost monochrome appearance. Almost white skin, black trousers and hair and beards (maybe with Sweeney Todd style white blazes on some). Dark metals and bright silver weapon edges. You can use red, or a deep scarlet as a point colour for sashes or decorations. You won't need many models and I think a whole army could be really striking. TB style swirls and stripes can easily be part of the clothing too.

A gorger could work as a Scissorhands type monster and your Butchers could either be enormous, greasy slobs or stitched together fabric men (re: 'Nightmare before Christmas' and '9').

#5 ·
I was thinking about this more since we talked. I thought you might try an almost monochrome appearance. Almost white skin, black trousers and hair and beards (maybe with Sweeney Todd style white blazes on some). Dark metals and bright silver weapon edges. You can use red, or a deep scarlet as a point colour for sashes or decorations. You won't need many models and I think a whole army could be really striking. TB style swirls and stripes can easily be part of the clothing too.
I really like this idea... :)

A gorger could work as a Scissorhands type monster and your Butchers could either be enormous, greasy slobs or stitched together fabric men (re: 'Nightmare before Christmas' and '9').
I like the idea as Gorgers having scissor hands. For the butcher, I was even thinking maybe giving him sweeney toddish hair(so quite messy, with that one white stripe running down it?)

#4 ·
Can´t really be of any help since I don´t have the skills for that kind of thing, but good luck with it!! It sure sounds awesome!

Check out the Monsters from 9 as well.. (for all kinds of machines).
The whole Nightmare before Christmas or maybe even Corpse Bride palette should provide the rest.
I´m sure you´ll get some additional inspiration.. .should be quite hard to model them like that though...

#6 ·
I like the idea very much, Spammie! Unfortunately, as you know, I am not much of a great painter or modeler, and on top of that I have seen many Tim Burton movies. I feel useless. ;)

I don't know whether that fits in well with what you've got planned (I like all the ideas and information posted so far), but personally when I think of Ogres and that kind of theme, Frankenstein comes to mind. So you might look to him for inspiration! I think very pale skin with dark eye cavities and black clothes would be good. I'd maybe not use bright red for the blood, but rather a greyish color as proposed by The Paint Monkey.

#7 ·
Just on a painting note- I personally wouldn't use only greys and blacks as shadows, I'd use a mix of graveyard earth and black for a warm, beige scheme, or a mix of ice blue and grey for it to be a cold one. You could also play with some glazes to get some cool effects like this guy. I was told by a GD judge that colours are more interesting than greys and whites to the eye and if done right would look twice as good a just shading with shades of black.

@the paint monkey- Good Idea and REP!

@Spammie- REP if you get some models done!

#8 ·
Regarding Gnobblars, did you see Tim Burton's remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? His take on Oompah-Loompahs could add a nice gaudy red and orange contrast to any Corpse Bridey/A Nightmare before Christmassy/Edward Scissorhandsy dark colours. Also I keep on imagining that Ogre with the cooking pot wearing a purple top hat, large sunglasses and sporting that hair cut, stirring a more brown than red cauldron...
(i.e. this look http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_P5b1Al2c7...-IxcDHmII/s320/Willy.Wonka.Johnny.Depp.tv.jpg)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.