Could use some eldar advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    148 (x2)

Could use some eldar advice

hey, i started painting my eldar again and I came across a predicament...I want to paint my aspect warriors in my craftworld color scheme because I like a more uniform look to my army, but I really don't like to go against fluff...any advice as to what I should do with them?

chaos marines have the chaos gods on their side, but space marines have games workshop on theirs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Eldar Aspect Warriors

As far as I can tell, most of those aspect warriors can have multiple color schemes... Save for the Striking Scorpions..

I person would say to paint them with your paint scheme, but have some other identifyer on them that diferentiates them from the norm..

what is your craftworl color scheme?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

148 (x2)

here is a guardian from my army
    chaos marines have the chaos gods on their side, but space marines have games workshop on theirs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Back when I was flirting with the idea of doing an Eldar army I ran into this problem, too. I didn't want a rainbow-colored army, but I wanted the aspect warriors to be different enough to be distinctive.

My idea would be to keep your current color scheme when doing the aspects, just mess with it a little to make it stand out. Try reversing it (using the armour lining color to paint the armour, and vice versa). You could also try messing with tone. That is, keep the same colors, but just use lighter or darker versions of that color scheme. This might work well if you wanted, say, fire dragons, which tend to have a bright color scheme. Take your craftworld scheme and lighten it up. Do the reverse for, say, dark reapers. Again, same colors, just darker shades (i.e., use regal blue instead of ultramarines blue).

EDIT: This (Clicky!) is by far the best example I've seen of this, not to mention one of the best non-traditional Eldar color schemes I've ever seen. He basically wanted a "winter" style, so you see lots and lots of whites, light greys, shadow greys, and really light blues like ice blue and magic blue. Essentially, aside from leathers and metals, that's his whole palette right there, but he managed to vary it just enough from aspect to aspect to make them all look pretty distinctive. Specifically, he picks an accent color to help set them off. Nothing garish, just enough so you can tell the difference at a glance (i.e., the purple plume on the Dire Avengers' helmets). Admittedly, his whole army shot makes them all look a tad TOO uniform, but you get the basic idea. You can use a single palette of colors to make distinctive variations with a little planning and creativity.

You could also try combining your craftworld and the aspect colors. Kind of like the librarians and chaplains in SM armies. Paint them the aspect warrior color scheme, but leave a single shoulder pad or kneepad to be painted to match your craftworld. Or do the opposite: paint them in the craftworld scheme except for that shoulder pad/kneepad.

You could also adopt a SECOND color scheme for your craftworld's aspect warriors. Sort of like the Dark Angels, which look green except for the ravenwing or deathwing. You could take a second color scheme that is different from your craftworld, but related (i.e., make it a cool color, like shadow grey or something), and do ALL your aspect warriors in that, maybe using lighter or darker shades for different aspects to distinguish them further. If I had to do it, that's how I'd work. Use Shadow Grey as the armour color, something darker (black?) for the lining, and use that for, say, Dire Avengers. For Fire Dragons, mix the grey with something to lighten it up, and then use, say, codex grey or Astrnomicon grey for the lining. Maybe do the Dark Reapers all in black, etc. You get the idea.

Good luck, and post more pics! We like pics!
    Last edited by Canew; January 27th, 2010 at 16:01.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually doing something similar to what has been suggested. By pickying a few more colours for the scheme you can change which colour is accented for each squad and thereby make them unique. For example, the gems on your guardian are blue right? When you paint Scorpions or Banshees make that blue a main or secondary colour. The only proble, with this is that there has to be quite a few colours to choose a theme (not red and light greea, and blue, and yellow, and purple). The first unit I painted was my defenders which have Enchamted Blue armour, Green Backpack (dark), Turquoise details, Black guns, and yellow Gems. The overall theme is cool colours which blend well. The yellow of the gems will never be used as a main colour due to its brightness but my Fire Prisms' crytals will be very bright yellow indeed.

In your case I would suggest adding either another grey for an all shades theme or adding a colour for different squads. Example would be Fire Dragons with Grey armour, White secondary and red Helmets and shoulder pads. This sort of thing is hard to get right because you're really treading a fine line between a theme and unique squads. Use test models and post on forums for comments!

I hope this ramble helps at all.

*Edit* Nice model btw!

LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

Well, if you think about it, eldar are SNEAKY and so since your eldar are on an icy world, you would think that the aspect warriors would also want to be SNEAKY along with the rest of the eldar warriors while keeping their heraldry. Well what I did for my eldar, was I used my colour scheme (red and black) for most of the model, then I painted the heads, and shoulder pads the colour of the aspect shrine. But for the worriors whose scheme fit in well with my army I just kept the same.

Hope I could help, and remembr, be SNEAKY
    Last edited by Dead Dude Walking; January 27th, 2010 at 22:21.
    <----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

148 (x2)

thanks all for your advice, it has been very helpful

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

If i were you i would paint the main of them how you like to match your colour scheme. Then do some details such as the plums on the helmets in the colour of the traditional aspect colours.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

+ Reply to Thread