Water Feature - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Feature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Water Feature

Hi there,

I was looking for some new interesting terrain features for WHFB and i came up with the idea to make a water feature. So i went into the garage, made a nice pool out of MDF (don't know if that's the right name in english), painting it in a nice watery blue and completely filled it with varnish to give it a nice watery effect.

when i came back the next morning all of the varnish was soaked into the wood, leaving me with an empty pool.

Now i'm searching for a material i can use to fill up my pond, but staying clear when it dries.
    I don't think GW water effects will work because it's quite a deep hole (about 10-14mm). do you have any (cheap) ideas?

and how do you make your water features?
    here are the promised pictures, i've put some models next to them to give you a sense of scale.

thanks!

Last edited by Byjugo; January 28th, 2010 at 10:48. Reason: added pictures
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

you could try to use the clear lid piece from a cd-case..

cut to shape and plop it into the hole, then just cover that with water effects, to get around the depth of the pond.

If the pond isnt too big that is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

yeah it's to big, good thought though.. i might be able to get my hands on some plexiglass, so i'll remember that

thanks
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have used 2 metods for water

1: go to a hobby store, they usually have water effects of some kind, but can be somehat expensive. and follow the instructions!

2: if you want to cheap out go to the hardwar store and buy clear silicon chaulking. it dries nice and clear and looks like water. apply it in thin coats, if its on too thick it will either take doys to go clear throughout, or will stay milky in the deep parts.

when i made my river i cut it out of 1" styrofoam, shavend the edges down with a drywall knife. then i covered it in pollyfiller to give it texture. i painted it. then i ran a bead of silicon down the middle and smeared it into all the nooks and cranies with my fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glue

If i were you i would use glue, speciffacilly elmers. I have found that it dries clear, but it takes 2-3 days to dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Just a thought, you could perhaps make the hole shallower, then use "gel medium" (e.g. Talens Heavy Gel Medium Glossy) to create a glossy/transparent effect together with blue acrylic paint. It might give a really nice effect. E.g. here they've used gel medium with gray/green water: http://www.ipmslivonia.org/ipms/Gall...JF-PT-124a.jpg.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

My suggestion is do what you did before! With a slight change. If you paint the area where the water will be going with PVA first it will "seal" the wood. This will mean next time you fill with the varnish it wont be soaked up.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Ha, as it happens I bumped into this page by accident while surfing: Landscape - Water - Woodland Scenics - Model Layouts, Scenery, Buildings and Figures. There's also a how to video for making realistic water with the gear that they sell.

+ Reply to Thread