City Fight Scene Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City Fight Scene Ideas

I have been looking through the forums and got some basic ideas and have already made a blasted building, almost done just needs details, but I want more ideas anything helps, I was thinking of some factory buildings but what else could I build, what really gives this dead city some life?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I play Sisters of Battle, so I'm really into churches. If you're using actual cityfight rules, there's even a stratagem called sacred ground that you can use with the church.

It depends a bit on what army you play and whether you want the terrain to represent their home turf.

Also, mobile scenery pieces like barricades are very versatile, where some of the larger building pieces can be a bit cumbersome.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Something that people often forget are courtyards. Many old cities have them, and some of the more aesthetic modern cities.

We built a fairly nice one. It was made as though it were recessed- we piled dirt and sandbags around the outer concrete wall to establish a height that we could carve out. We then carved a square shape out of the middle, deep enough to give cover. We built stairs around all of the walls that led into the courtyard, like a theater. We laid down a layer of spackle onto a sheet of foil and then used a comb to etch some mosaic-like cobles into it. Once it dried, we cut it to fit into the floor of our courtyard, then cracked it up a bit. Meanwhile, we had dug deeper depressions into some of the foam we were building the courtyard from. When we laid the floor over it, we pressed bits of it down into depressions to make it look like a walker or a falling piece of debris might've messed up the flooring.
    A fountain like the one in the cityfight book, made from an Inquisitor model, and some benches lent a peacetime feel to the yard. Craters, the burnt ruins of a camo awning, some stretchers, a few piles of severed limbs, and some cots (a few with IG corpses still on them) all gave the nauseating feel of a field hospital long overrun and abandoned.

A lot of people forget that you can put open ground in a city. Often, the courtyard becomes a perfect killing zone when infantry are forced to cross (the debris makes it count as difficul terrain, and only models against the walls have cover), and also a great staging area for tanks and the likes (if they can risk rolling into it).

Other oft-forgotten ideas include raised features like pipes, gantries, and rail lines, or more open features like flattened buildings, trenchlines, or massive assembly factories. We watched Enemy at the Gates to get ideas for our table. It's possibly one of the best city-fighting movies ever made. BlackHawk down did lend us the idea for 'Grot-ville', a collection of shacks and improvised huts to represent the ghetto blocks that are present in many 3rd world cities.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some great ideas. I thought about making a courtyard but couldnt really think of how to make it or what to make it out of but your discription really helped. As for my army its ultra marines so home turf dosnt really matter lol, just standard hive or imperial city but I do want a variety of stuff to change things up here and there.

I also want to make a great gaming board, any ideas on materials needed, cork, foam?

+ Reply to Thread