Dwarf painting tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarf painting tips

I' absolutely terrible at painting and I really want dwarfs to be my first well painted army.
    Please could some dwarf players give me some tips on how to paint???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Have a look on the following link. Lots of the projects threads are worthy of a trip through.

It may help. Kuffy likes his Dwarves and I know he has some great figures in there. I think they are on the latest pages.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...07-2009-a.html

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Justice - Thanks for the heads up there.

As to dwarfs there are two main things to remember. Beard and armour. For the most part these are the two main parts to focus on. The beard is the obvious part, they take up most the mini and so will become a main focus. There are many ways to do a beard, the simplest being basecoat > wash > drybrush highlight. This will give you the main things you need - base, shading and highlighting. The obvious colours for beards are brown, they can be various shades - I like to experiment with different ones to see what works. Using bestial and scorched brown are a good solid choice for them. I find many of the other browns to be too light. For blonde, I have posted a tutorial in the tutorials forum and my blog. Black and shades of grey are also simple to paint. I suggest trying them and different shades out.

The other part, the armour is quite simple as well. Boltgun metal is a great base, washing it with badab black and then highlighting with chainmail is a good simple method. The look fo the dwarfs will depend on how dark and grimy looking you go on the armour. So, darker metallics will give them a dark and worn look, whilst brighter ones will hint towards a newer armour/look.

The rest of the mini can be done any way. There are a number of colours that I find work well with dwarfs. Green, red, blue, brown, purple, grey, black, white. These are typical colours used, others can be used (and these in various shades) but these work the best. I would get a small group (maybe 5) dwarfs and test out your schemes on these. You can always strip the others later. I would also suggest you look around the net at other armies for ideas.

If there is anything specific you need help with or anything else, please just ask.

Kuffy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. I have painted some of my models already following your advice.
    I am working on posting some pictures of them on this thread so please keep an eye on it.
    Finally thanks for the advice that you've already given, more would, of course, be welcome!

+ Reply to Thread