Glue lifting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glue lifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glue lifting

i am having some trouble applying sand to large area. on the bases of my guard army i just smeard some white glue, dipped em in sand, waited until dry, then used brown ink and it gave me a nice base for my bases.

i was recently putting buildings onto bases (makes good sidewalks and such and help hold the walls up) put the white glue on sanded em, painted but now whole sections of the sand are lifting off the bases. i think it might be becasue the material i am using is like a corugated plastic sheet and the white glue isnt sticking.

anyone have any similar problems, or should i just cough up the dough and buy me some masonite and redo the bases?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

You might need to scratch up the plastic with some coarse sand paper, give it a nice cross hatch pattern to help it stick.
    I use a lot of PVA when applying sand, enough for a solid white colour, then drown it in sand, give a it a tap to settle it and leave it overnight, for minis I then use my spray primer to help hold it down, for terrain I spray it with the GW spray gun and watered down acrylic house paint.

Bugbait out

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I can't say I've had this problem. Maybe you are too rough with your models? I use plaster to make an interesting base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya i think ill try the sandpaper.

its not that im too rough with the models, the bases on my figures are fine. its only on large areas like my terrain and also on my valkrie base. im thnking i might wait like 5 minutes before pouring the sand on, let the glue start to adhere to the base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

White glue contracts when it dries, so even if you manage to get it to stick, it will just warp the base if it's thin enough.

I'm having the same problem with my cities of death pieces, but instead of the glue pulling loose, it curls the base up, ruining the piece in the process...

p.s i'm using 3mm fibreboard.. the ones that are smooth on one side and rough on one..
    i think it might work better if i add glue to the smooth side instead, but not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to apply the glue to both side of the base. When the glue dries, it will do it on both side, preventing the curving.

+ Reply to Thread