Mental Mountain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mental Mountain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mental Mountain

Hi everyone,

So ive got a bit of a problem with my painting. I cant seem to paint fast enough.

Ive been working on Chaos SM, Ive decided to go with Blood Red armor, Chaos Black trim and Shinging gold highlights. Nothing original, but it looks okay (supposed to be Red Corsairs).

Now, ive been trying to speed paint to catch up with my backlog of miniatures, using block colors and then dip. But it still takes me aboot 2 hours to do each model and I cant seem to get the lead out and get it done! I always find I get fixated on small things like making sure the seams all match up and not having colors outside of where they should be.

Any suggestions? Im sure this is all in my head, but Its frustrating when I cant seem to make any progress.

"So, how did you become a Renegade Space Marine?"

"..... Tax evasion...."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of the Universe BIGphil22X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Hah Typhoon, we have certainly all been there before. There are a few basic tips I can give you:

-Always remember that everything in your army will be seen from about 2-3 feet away. This means that while you may notice that cool detail from about 6 inches, no one else will see it from normal game distance.

-Try and take more time on models such as HQ, as these are the real visual meat of your army. When most other players inspect your army, they are going to look at your cool daemon prince or land raider, and not as much at the troops.

-For quick and easy shading, please use Badab Black wash. While many GW products are overpriced for what they give you, Black wash is worth its weight in gold. To demonstrate, check out the difference between one of my models without black wash, and one with two quick coats of it.

Without wash:
    IMG_2143.jpg

With wash:
    IMG_2145.jpg

Hope this helps bud. Cheers!
    Last edited by BIGphil22X; February 7th, 2010 at 22:19.
    "Sanguine, my brother."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

I completely agree with Bigphil on everything he said..

Don't fixate on the troops as much as the stand out figures..

And a Black Wash over red always looks great.

My only advice when painting is to pick 3-4 main colors to use on the troops. Stick to those colors. Try to blackline yourt models. Don't worry about how sloppy the paint job seems at first, wait till the end to clean it up. (Trust me, cleaning up the colors as you go will only add more time to the paint job.)

I can paint a squad of Marines in an hour using three colors. Granted, there is no highlighting, and cery little shading.

Dry Brushing can always be a friend when it comes to painting the troops.

If you start doing shaded highlighting, that will add a bit of time to the troops, and I personally feel this type of shading might be better suited for yout HQ, or any competition pieces. Edge Highlighting can also take a bit of time depending on how clean you want the lines.

Painting Black Templars Space Marines | Black Templars Articles | Space Marine Articles | Armies of Warhammer 40,000 Articles | Games Workshop

That doesn't take too long to paint with the level of skill seen in the lines. I am trying to make my lines neater, and I find it takes significantly longer. But as said.. You will be seeing these modesl from 2-3 feet away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Don't worry about how sloppy the paint job seems at first, wait till the end to clean it up"

You know, these are all good tips, but I think this is the one im going to need to keep In mind as im going along. Just after reading this, i caught myself going for the previous color because i made a tiny smudge.

Thanks for the moral support
    "So, how did you become a Renegade Space Marine?"

"..... Tax evasion...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    467 (x8)

Also, have you tried doing a few models at a time. That can help.
    Cervantes: In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

I have the exact opposite problem, I can typically get a squad done in no time. One thing being I have choosen VERY easy paint schemes, Black and gold SM Xeno accepting/"Chaos infiltrators" and a black/green Tau. But what I do is I do an assembly line on the troops...
    - Paint one section (legs or what not) and go on to the next one
    - Once I have those main colors down move to the next portion, torso etc and repeat step one
    -once the whole model has been "pre painted" I go back finish up the slips and put in the details.
    And normally I rush my self...which makes for a crap paint job...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Toughest part for me is the basecoating. The "paint by numbers, stay inside the lines!" mentality kills me sometimes, but fortunately it's only the FIRST part.

After that comes washing and highlighting. For me, those steps are MUCH faster, and I see it as a relief after the more painstaking early stages. Look forward to the easier stuff while focusing on the hard, slow stuff. If you're like me, 75 percent of your work is a smooth, rich, thin, neat basecoat. The rest is easy.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Also a mix of badab plack and devlan mud can give more 'natural' looking shading.

I tend to have trouble painting things quickly as well. But that's a physical constraint, lol. It becomes a mountain very quickly though, it's okay at first - 500 points perhaps, not too many models, but your friends paint up their 500 and move on to 1000 so you buy more to catch up... and it just goes on like that. Well, in my case

I tend to find it easiest - personally, to do a material at a time. I also tend to do metallics first unless they are details.

I'll spend a weekend assembling EVERYTHING I have and getting it undercoated, then go through all the models doing say, the base colour for cloth, then a second pass over the whole lot with the shading, then a third pass with highlighting. (I tend to dosking first, then wood and metal before cloth and leather)

Tyranids I have taken to painting in groups as I don't mix colours on them - I blend them in dry. So the carapace gets done fairly smoothly on a whole batch. Then detail that up and put 'ardcoat over it before coming back to the body later. I only have Zoanthropes done so far and half a malanthrope. But the scheme is relatively quick and focuses on the overall effect than the little tiny bits.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

Gee, haven't seen that paint scheme before... ~cough~ if you chose that paint scheme cause its easy, then you'll be disappointed. I know personally.

It takes time to paint faster. But why do you need too? Paint at your own speed. I do sets of squads, then move on to the next one. I use to have Black Legion, then I added dark grey afterwards, leaving a black boarder. much better looking.

being fixated on the small things can be good and bad. if paint is building up then its bad. remember the miniature size, if you think you got it right, pull back and look at it from 2 feet away. thats the distant people will look at it. like the eyes on my SW termies, i thought they looked like crap, but i pulled away and notice they looked pretty good from that 2 feet, notice that minior imperfection will altogether unseeable at that distant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only say "you are not alone".

I also struggle with keeping the pace up. For myself I have increased the speed somewhat with some simple tricks:

1: paint several miniatures. I tried 5 and 4, but I get so incredibly bored with painting the same colors on all that I am now down to 3 as my "magic number"

2: Paint the same areas on all at the same time. Kind of obvious when painting several miniatures.

3: Don't go back to fix failures on a previous color before it is time to highlight that color. If i get some metal on my green armor, I wait until I do the wash on that armor to fix it.

4: Don't mix up the basic colors. Of course you can mix up colors, and I do, but with shading and highlighting, there is almost always a color that fits. Save advanced mixing to the standout figures

5: Keep the color count down. You don't need different colors on the different bags in his belt. Some colors can be differentiated with just the highlighting as well.

6: Use the most simple techniques if they look okay: base paint -> wash -> drybrush/overbrush/simple shading. You don't need 5 shades on that hair.

These are the rules I try to follow, but even then a couple of CSM's take me two weeks, but that is also much to me not painting for more than a few minutes a day and many days off.

I think I will time the actual painting time the next time
    Hit eit steg
    og dit eit steg.
    Så vandrar vi fram på skuleveg.
    - An old viking war chant

+ Reply to Thread