Space Orks - comments and tips please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Orks - comments and tips please.

Hello

A few friends of mine have sucked me back in to GW after a 15 year break...

I have painted a few Orks and was wondering if I could get a few tips as to where I am going wrong.

I only have about 6 different paints and lack practice, but any pointers would be appreciated.

They aren't quite finished yet, but I am trying to get quite a few models painted quickly to get back into the swing of things.

Any comments appreciated. The photo isn't great either to be honest.

Thanks

James

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally made it here then?

They don't look too bad to me but then what do I know? I'm more green than your orks ;-)

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Welcome to LO RustyJames!

Well as Cunning said they aren't bad at all, especially if you only have limited paints at your disposal! Its a little hard to tell from the photo (you seem to have my ability with a camera!) but the green skin and the facial details look well done, as does the metallic elements of the guns.

What I like about the plastic Ork boyz is that beyond the skin and weapons there isn't much to them so if you have an effective scheme for those parts (which it looks like you have) then the model will look pretty good. What Clan are you painting them as or are they going to be black Ork Goffs? Because it might be nice to have some variation by introducing a new colour to the models- i.e Blue details for Deathskulls, Yellow for Bad moons etc.

Also, what are your plans for the bases?
    Last edited by Sir Theobold the Lame; February 10th, 2010 at 18:35.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some tips which make your models look good but also reduce time:
    -Use black in your colour scheme. Having black saves endless amounts of time in the long run. You don't even have to highlight it for small details. For bigger models and if you want something to look good just use 10 levels of grey highlights and it looks just as good.
    -When in doubt, drybrush! Nothing is easier then a few light drybrushes to bring out details. Its easier and quicker then highlighting and on some models (ork muscle and guns) it looks better
    -Dip. If I was to start orks I would dip everything. No way am I painting 100+ boys the same way I paint 30 Eldar. There are some nice dipping guides on this site. Just paint one even, careful layer of colour on all the areas that need it then dip. I think I could probably get 10 Ork squads done in under 3 hours each and I'm anal about detail and such.
    -If you miss a detail, ignore it. I always used to go back and check if I missed some grenade or brooch when painting my models. The truth is if you didn't notice when you were painting then no one will notice while your playing.

Other then that work a little each day and always have a good time. I recommend a beer and some Jazz but that is completely up to you. The models look pretty good. If you want to highlight you really only need Dark Angels green and a white or yellow. Start dark and work up.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Rusty, looking good. Welcome to the 6 paint club... it's a noble calling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the feedback guys!

@Cunning

Started any arguments about dice yet?!

@Sir Theo - Getting a decent photo was very tricky

I don't now about clans, but yes a bit more colour would be nice. I really struggled with yellow I remember, but a few more blues and reds would be nice. I like painting the ork ones because you don't need to worry too much about consistency.

Bases? I hadn't got that far really... a bit of grey sand?

@Powerclaw

Thnks for the info, my dry brushing needs a bit of work I think, I saw the dipping on the sight before it looked interesting, but feels like cheating Not sure beer is the way forward either, I am a bit of a lightweight the results could be horrific!

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Silly Rusty James, Warhammer like CIA, once in, you never really leave.

Just keep practicing. Download GW's paint guide if you can finid it ;-D, that'll help.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Like everyone said, these look pretty good for someone just getting back into the hobby. Well done. I am also an ork player and wrote a small tutorial on how I paint mine, here. I found this to be a quick and simple method and can quite easily be adapted. It might not be to your taste though.

As to your minis, they look good. Orks can be very well done by using simple techniques such as drybrushing and making use of washes. I found devlan mud and badab black to be the most useful. Try those out, they are very good at shading quickly and easily.

Kuffy

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJames View Post

@Sir Theo - Getting a decent photo was very tricky

I don't now about clans, but yes a bit more colour would be nice. I really struggled with yellow I remember, but a few more blues and reds would be nice. I like painting the ork ones because you don't need to worry too much about consistency.

Bases? I hadn't got that far really... a bit of grey sand?
    Getting a decent photo is something I haven't managed yet...

The GW website probably has info about the Ork clans and their respective colours, but to be honest just do whatever you like best!

Make sure you buy some £5 a bag sand, and a pyramid 3 sided dice...
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread